Fish Moods

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by toeknee, Jun 21, 2018.

1. toeknee

toekneeWell Known MemberMember

Hello all. I was just wondering if you notice if your fish tend to have different "moods" so to speak throughout the day? Sometimes my fish (rasboras, corys and dwarf gourami) act in different ways throughout the day. Either antsy, nervous, excited or lazy etc...Sometimes everyone is just moping around not doing much. Sometimes the corys will be exploring around solo, sometimes they band together and forage, sometimes they just swim as a group for no reason. Same goes for the rasboras and gourami. It's like the energy level in the tank fluctuates throughout the day. Anyone else notice this in your tanks?

2. AJE

AJEWell Known MemberMember

I have before feeding they chase me around the room, after they go to the back of the tank when I walk ne’er them

3. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

I think that fish have a natural day-night cycle that's replicated pretty well in our tanks.

In my reef tank, I have a 12 hour day cycle to pretty closely imitate the tropics.

In the early morning, my fish tend to be a bit sluggish, but are usually scavenging around the tank looking for food.

About 2-3 hours into their day, I notice them start to do much more "aquarium" fish things; they don't necessarily run around the tank looking for food, but might come up to the front panel to watch me as I walk around the room, or they might begin to interact with each other in the tank. They really spend most of their time until dinner doing this sort of thing.

3-4 hours before lights out, they'll begin scavenging again and begging for food. After fed, they'll usually go to their respective "homes" (an anemone for my clown, and the filter lip for my blenny).

In the hour or so leading up to lights out, they'll usually be out and about again. After lights go out, they immediately go back to their homes and sleep.

So yeah, the energy levels in the tank definitely fluctuate. I'd say it has less to do with what we imagine as moods, and more with natural instincts.

4. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

I absolutely think they have moods and personalities.

Sometimes the pearl danio in my profile picture chases his tankmates and gets chased or just schools with them and doesn't want to be alone, sometimes he will play in the filter output and swim against the current for hours on end, completely ignoring the other fish in the school, sometimes he's timid and hides, etc.

This is just one of the fish. All of the other ones has their personalities and act differently all the time too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice