Fish missing

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I had a leopard danio with swim bladder so he was separated for a few days and when he improved I put him back In, I noticed the other danios chasing him and seeming to single him out, today I can't find him anywhere! I've tested my water and everything is fine, but he is no where to be seen, could he have died and my goldfish have eaten him? Should I re test my water again tomorrow??

Mikelly

Reaction score
I’m sorry, I don’t have an answer for you. I have a comment to add though. I have tetras, a variety. I am missing a neon tetra in similar circumstances. It was being chased by other fish. I thought it might be weak or sick. After a week in an isolation tank it seemed just fine. I put it back into the tank and the next day I am short a neon when I did role call.
Over the weekend I changed my substrate to a natural substrate. Thought I would find the carcass. But nothing. Could the other fish have eaten the neon...bones and all? I also have 3 Cory cats and 2 otos I the tank.
I know that any fish can be carnivorous...but the bones too?

Giul

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It’s possible he died and got sucked into the filter or the goldfish ate him. There have been times where I lost a perfectly healthy fish for several days. Usually they reappear but sometimes they don’t. Do you have a lid? Could it have jumped?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Likely it died and the fish ate it up. I read a few years ago with community fish they'll expel a fish they think might threaten them and they might have known it was sick.

I had a black skirt tetra that was sick...it was exiled from the group and when it died I only saw the bones.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I lost an Oto a few weeks ago and found it days later, during water change and clean-up, dead between the driftwood. Could not have seen it from any angle, just plopped to the surface when I moved the wood and not even my cardinals (little piranha in my opinion) had nibbled on it. So, it could be anywhere between the plants or decorations, could also be sucked in the filter or eaten by the goldfish, danios also become cannibals with opportunity (Mikelly: at least Otos don't go for carcasses, maybe the corys). A lot of people take some time to realise, that you cannot see every bit of the tank from the outside, so it could still be there somewhere, dead though untouched.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
So I had a leopard danio with swim bladder so he was separated for a few days and when he improved I put him back In, I noticed the other danios chasing him and seeming to single him out, today I can't find him anywhere! I've tested my water and everything is fine, but he is no where to be seen, could he have died and my goldfish have eaten him? Should I re test my water again tomorrow??
Retest your water every day. It takes a couple days for a carcass to rot and produce ammonia.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
I found a dead little neon fish this week.

The dead neon was floating in a plant camouflaged.

When you do a water change, I'd suggest checking the decor and plants.

I do partial water changes every 2-3 days on my larger tanks, so my nitrates never spike due to fish death. I have to actively look when cleaning

New Threads