Fish missed the moonlight memo

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
so I hooked up an led moonlight, US something brand, looks nice. Dim but easily bright enough to watch my fish. I left it on all night and when I got up my barbs which are always still tucked behind a plant when I get up(before the sun does), were out swimming about as if it were the middle of the day. They seem to be missing that its supposed to be moon, not sun... Is this gonna be a problem? Anyone had similar problems of fish not sleeping in moonlights? My goal was to see my clown pleco, he was also still hiding. Maybe pull one of the lights out so its darker? Or should I give em a few days to figure it out?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Moonlights re not supposed to be left on for the entire night. They should be hooked up to a timer so that they only come on for a couple of hours at night & an hour or so in the morning before the main lights come on.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I guess I'll have to go get a couple timers from wal-mart. I oughta have one for the regular light anyways, although it I can pretty consistently turn on and off in accordance with the sun, but if I have em both timed then they can come on and in time with eachother, not with me.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
another thought, if the barbs are staying out despite the "Night lighting" will the Pleco ever mistake it for night and come out?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Pleco should be happy enough to come out so long as the lights get considerably dimmer, which they do. I don't think it would be a problem.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom