Fish: Male or Female? Or both?

1. Fighter56AndHisBrother Initiate Member

I'm looking to buy fish in the near future and I would like some advice on males and females and which is better for an aquarium. I'm not planning on buying a whole lot of fish, but basically, I would like some advice on male and female fish.

Thanks,
    Fighter56AHB

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

What types of fish, what size tank, are you hoping they will breed?

3. Fighter56AndHisBrother Initiate Member

I'll be looking for a smaller tank; ten to twenty gallons. I'm not sure about types of fish, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm not sure if I want them to breed or not. I've had a bad experience in the past with breeding. However, basically, I'm wondering, if you don't breed, if it is better to buy all male or all female.

4. Squirrelmanajh Member Member

well 10 or 20 is a big difference so you're gonna need to decide before fish types can be suggested. And as long as you don't get livebearers (Platys, Mollies, Guppies) breeding shouldn't be a huge problem.

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Unless you're getting livebearers, the sex of the fish usually doesn't matter.

6. jbdub Member Member

Sometimes the species can have an impact as well. I'd say maybe have a look at some fish species and then when you have a better idea of what you want you can ask again.

Its ok to keep certain fish in male and female groups because some types dont really breed in aquarium environments.

7. Fighter56AndHisBrother Initiate Member

Thanks a lot friends, you have all been a great help and have boasted my confidence tremendously. :;scuba

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

there's a big difference between a 10 and a 20.