Fish Louse

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by alex0429, Apr 18, 2018.

1. a

alex0429 Valued Member Member

I found a fish louse on my betta and I've been reading that I should take it off with tweezers. And if it's an open wound to treat it. But I'm not comfortable doing that cuz I don't wanna hurt him. It's on his stomach area. Is there a better way to treat this without using sharp objects? And how can I prevent more coming back?

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

You could try a salt bath. Hopefully being in salty water will cause the louse to detach or at least loosen a bit and you can gently pull it off. Don't worry too much about causing a lot of damage when pulling it off, I had to remove 4 anchor worms from a betta and he recovered just fine.

Can you post a pic so I can see where it is?

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh yes! Please post pic! Cute little beggars. It’ll gross my hubby out. I like to pull them off and swab with hydrogen peroxide. Nasty little egg layers. Best wishes!

4. OP
    OP
    a

alex0429 Valued Member Member

I manages to take it off with the tweezers. But here it is after. There was only one in the entire tank but should I worry about more anyway? 20180418_224901.jpg

5. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Just keep an eye out. Hopefully its the only one. Usually if you catch external parasites early then they don’t come back after removing them by hand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice