fish lost

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
We lost two more of our zebra danios, we are now down to three and they don't look very good. Can't seem to get the ammoina down, the water is turning green again! we are doing large water changes, frequently, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, the ammonia has been at 1 for weeks now, with no change. I don't know what we're doing wrong. We have a 10 gallon Q tank but it isn't cycled yet.

1: Should I move the pleco (TEMPORARILY!!! lol) he is only three inches long, and the cory cats to the Q tank until I hopefully get the 29 gallon one under control? --- I'm afraid that moving the fish will just be moving the problem, but if I move them, then I can let the ammonia spike in the big tank and maybe make some progress.

2: Plus, if I take the fish out, will the ammonia spike? Or would I be removing the source.

3: If I do move them, should I do it one at a time?
4: and how long in between to keep the water as good as possible?
5: and in what order?

HELP please! I'm about ready the throw in the towel, drain the aquarium and get a pet snake, at least I know how not to kill them!

~Jamie

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi jamie, This may sound stupid but here goes anyway,feel free to call me stupid if you wish.
I was thinking would there be a possibilty that there is a dead fish in the tank that you havent noticed ,that could be your ammonia problem,probably a good idea to check the tank thoroughly just in case.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
The dead fish theory is a good one, as that has happened in the past. But we have been very careful to keep count, and we pull dead fish as soon as they are noticed. Since we check the tank frequently, they aren't in there very long at all. Thanks though!

~And why is the water green?

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps some, we've been doing water changes every other day... will start them daily.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I still need to know what ppls opinions are on moving the fish to the q tank and letting the ammonia spike in the main tank

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you allready have a set up quarantine tank that is established there is no harm in moving the fish to that tank while you get the ammonia and nitrite levels back under controll in the main tank. In my opinion.

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would say there would be no benefit at all in moving the fish to Q tank as you say it isnt finished cycling, for the fish i would think it would be like (jumping out the frying pan  into the fire)
Plus they would be safer in the big tank as they are just little fishes, and it has more water volume so with regular water changes it would be easier to dilute the ammonia and nitrites rather than the Qtank, you will find (because dont give up) that a bigger tank is far easier to control than a small tank

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
My poor fish! thanks for the advice

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Isabelle, do you have any in put?

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Sasha! You were right! There was a dead fish in there. I have no idea how we lost count, we were so Careful!!! Hopefully, with daily water changes, and no overfeeding, we will finnaly be able to get the ammonia down. It's already a little better. It had spiked to 4, killing our pleco :-[ :'( , last night we found a dead danio and removed it (who knows how long it was in ther). This morning the ammonia was down to 2... still too high, but there is hope for the future now.
I feel awful!
but hopeful.
~Jamie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom