Fish loss - I don't understand why :(

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi again,

I feel sad every time I have to post in this part of the forum

I've lost more fish. One rosy tetra today. It was all fine and it started swimming to the surface, turned over and just died. Upon closer inspection I saw that it had poppy eyes like the first rosy tetra I lost. (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate, 6.8 pH)

In a different tank, I found an otto that I had recently brought home covered it white spots as if it was sprinkled in salt. I lost him the next day. (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10-20 nitrate, 6.8 pH) I'm treating the tank by raising the temperature as many threads in this forum suggested.

In total I've lost 5 fish within 3 months. 4 showed symptoms before dying. I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong. I change water once a week. Check the water parameters. Maintain the proper temperature. All the tanks are new and everything is properly washed before being added to the tank. I do have a 5 gallon tank that's been fine with no deaths (knock on wood). I'm feeling very discouraged :'(

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry to hear about your loses, but I know what you are going through. When I first started my tank in January, every fish I put in died soon thereafter. I think my total fish loss was around 10-12. Not one of the fish I started with is still in the tank. I agree it's very discouraging and it's hard to figure out what's wrong when everything looks so right. I remember posting a thread like yours and someone told me it sounds like "new tank syndrome." Finally my tank has stabilized and things are running smoothly now.

Keep at it. It sounds like you are maintaining good water parameters and even have a bigger tank to put all your inhabitants into which is also a bonus. Things will come around.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LICfish-
I agree with the above post, do not get discouraged. I, too, lost a number of fish when I first started my tank, despite my readings being good. I am thinking that sometimes the spikes happened so quickly, that by the time I could test and things were back in balance, the damage had been done.

I am thinking that this is something a lot of new tank owners go through, my tank is 9 months old now, and I don't think I will rest easy until it has been a year.

Recently I learned another lesson: move around your logs, rocks, etc, and do a gravel vac underneath things, I am treating a cory for fin rot which I think he acquired from the substrate under the log not being clean enough.

It is a learning process, constantly. Hang in there!

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you Jrobber and GoGreen for your encouragement. I do hope things turns around soon. I feel horrible for my little fishies.

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey LICfish, just want you to know you are not alone! Sometimes it seems like bad luck comes all at once. I went 6 months with a new tank with only 1 loss (10yr old catfish), followed by 4 deaths in 1 month! Each with a different cause.. Currently, I am battling ich so I feel your pain!

Best thing you can do is hang tight and work on keeping your water pristine with lots of water changes (sounds like you already do). If you feed only flake food, maybe you can get your fish a treat with some brine shrimp or bloodworms? Varying food from time to time is always a good way to boost your fishes color and health, etc. Just a thought

Hope things turn around soon for you!

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you ladyagate. And I'm sorry to hear that you lost such an old finned friend.

Yeah I add bloodworms or brine shrimp to their diet at least once a week and they really love it. I guess it's just impossible to have everything under control. The tank with ich houses my favourite fish - my two little puffers. So I'm really keeping my fingers crossed!

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Aw, sorry you are loosing fish. Don't get discouraged. It will get better. We just have to figure it out.

Were both eyes on your Tetra popped out? You meant pop-eye right? lol

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Out of curiosity, how are you treating your puffer tank? I've been treating with heat for a few days now and just added nox ich since one of my rummys is starting to get hit pretty hard.

Ich is so exhausting!

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks AlyeskaGirl. Yeah it was like pop-eye. Both eyes were popped out.

I lost the first tetra to similar symptoms except the first one looked a bit fatter. I initially thought it was pop-eye but after see this link http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/Q&A/eye_disorders.html - I'm not so sure.

The second fish had fungus.

The third either had pop-eye or an injured eye that got infect.

The fourth had ICH.

The last one just kind of just died and the eyes looked a bit like the first tetra.

Hi ladyagate - Currently I'm treating the tank just my raising the temp to 85. I read that scaleless fish cannot stand the meds and I only have scaleless fish in there. The instant I saw the infected otto, I removed it to the quarantine tank and lost it the next day. So far, I don't think I see spots on the others (fingers crossed and knock on wood). I'll keep up the temps for a total of 2 weeks as suggested by many sources. Please do let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thank you.

marina3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Like jrobber, gogreen and ladyagate mentioned before, is part of the "journey"...It is just hard to undersatnd why if the water parameters check in, why then the casualties???I used to go nuts over that!!! I used to take my dead fish with a sample of the water to the specialty fish store and ask them "WHY???!" on top of all the research that I would do on line...Your tank will stabilize and things will get better, but that does not mean that cannot change again...the smaller the tank the most affected by any error, diviation from the routine etc...believe me, I have a 10 gl tank!!! Anyway, stay positive!!! Things will turn around!!

matt6765

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
When I started I lost a lot of fish from various reasons. Hang in there and thing will get better.

LICfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks everyone. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom