Fish Like Discus

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nathan wu, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Nathan wuNew MemberMember

Are there any fish out there with a slime coat like discus where the fish can feed on when they are born? If so, what? I was just wondering. Thanks!

2. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

Are you asking if there are any fish in which another fish(what fish) will eat the slime coat off it?

The slime coat is a protective layer to the fish, if another fish tries to eat it the fish will be very stressful.

3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Uaru cichlids do the same.

4. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Nope. I saw this somewhere. The discus fry will literally eat the slime coat of the parents for food, but not harming the adult. I think there is like, 2 species that do that. It's not harmful to the fish. I heard the guy call them 'poor man discus' cause they did the same and were a HECK of a lot cheaper. I think it's what MikeRad89 is talking about. It's actually really cool.

5. MikeRad89

There are a number of species that do it, but only two that are commonly kept in the hobby. Discus and uaru do it as well as chromides, but you don't see the latter kept too often.

6. 2211Nighthawk

Cool. I can't remember the guys name, he's a YouTube and has the huge Asian arrowana in his office. He mentioned them. I didn't even know discus did that. (A little too expensive for my taste)

Sucks the urau get "so big" I would love to get some. unfortunately my 60g's already full and I'm forbidon to get another tank. At least more then 20g. :)

7. MikeRad89

The king of DIY is the guy you're thinking of.

8. 2211Nighthawk

YES! Couldn't remember if that was him or not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice