Fish Like Betta?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by HoboManJett, Apr 22, 2018.

1. HoboManJettNew MemberMember

While away my betta died, no idea why. But I have a 3.5 gallon tank and was wondering if there are any fish like a betta where I do not have to have a school and that they only need a smaller tank size.

Thanks

2. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Really, in a 3.5 gallon tank, you're stuck with bettas, shrimp, and snails. If your tank is round, then you're really even pushing it with a betta.

3. TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

Hello HoboManJett!

I'm sorry to hear that your fish passed away.
    Unfortunately, in a tank that size, there isn't much to chose from fish wise. The only fish that I could think to recommend are betta fish, ghost shrimp, or snails. I recommend considering upgrading to a 5 gallon tank or more if you truly do not want to try again with betta fish and want variety. I own an established 5.5 gallon tank with a male betta fish and he is thriving well.
    I wish you luck on your fish keeping!

4. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

As others have said your reallt stuck with a betta in anything less than a 5. There are some fish that act similar to a betta, but they need a larger tank than a 5 or below. I’d just stick to a single betta or switch it to a shrimp/snail tank.

5. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

What about something like a dwarf sunfish or a pea puffer? Would it be doable or stretching it a little too far?

6. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn’t do those in anything less than a 5 either, but they do have a good personality(although the sunfish are shy and would likely take awhile to show it or may never really) so if you got a 5g I think they’re be a great idea.

7. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I wasnt sure if it was pushing it too far or not. They were the 2 that popped into my head. Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice