Fish Like Betta?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by HoboManJett, Apr 22, 2018.

1. HoboManJettNew MemberMember

While away my betta died, no idea why. But I have a 3.5 gallon tank and was wondering if there are any fish like a betta where I do not have to have a school and that they only need a smaller tank size.

Thanks

2. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

Really, in a 3.5 gallon tank, you're stuck with bettas, shrimp, and snails. If your tank is round, then you're really even pushing it with a betta.

3. TheblitchwitchNew MemberMember

Hello HoboManJett!

I'm sorry to hear that your fish passed away.
    Unfortunately, in a tank that size, there isn't much to chose from fish wise. The only fish that I could think to recommend are betta fish, ghost shrimp, or snails. I recommend considering upgrading to a 5 gallon tank or more if you truly do not want to try again with betta fish and want variety. I own an established 5.5 gallon tank with a male betta fish and he is thriving well.
    I wish you luck on your fish keeping!

4. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

As others have said your reallt stuck with a betta in anything less than a 5. There are some fish that act similar to a betta, but they need a larger tank than a 5 or below. I’d just stick to a single betta or switch it to a shrimp/snail tank.

5. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

What about something like a dwarf sunfish or a pea puffer? Would it be doable or stretching it a little too far?

6. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn’t do those in anything less than a 5 either, but they do have a good personality(although the sunfish are shy and would likely take awhile to show it or may never really) so if you got a 5g I think they’re be a great idea.

7. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I wasnt sure if it was pushing it too far or not. They were the 2 that popped into my head. Lol