Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
depends on which water conditioner you use. Prime detoxifies the ammonia (converts it from ammonia to ammonium)

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi dfisherman, welcome to fishlore

First, this should have been posted to the nitrogen cycle forums [I'm sure a mod will move it]

But to answer your question, your water conditioner should not affect the ammonia (products such as Seachem Prime de-toxify ammonia and nitrite, but still make it available for bacteria to grow)

Unless you add products designed to eliminate/block out ammonia (such as ammo-lock I think) then you should be fine.

Oh, and make sure it is pure ammonia/ammonium you are using, not household ammonia with other stuff in it.

PS - congrats on fishless cycling

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry I'm still learning now to post. Thanks for your quick reply

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the fishless cycle! The conditioners shouldn't mess with your ammonia at all. It would actually be wise to run your tank for about 24 hours before starting your cycle anyways. You can use that time to make sure that your filter is running properly and you can also watch your heater and adjust the temperature. That way if you have to replace a faulty piece of equipment you don't have to interrupt your cycle to do it. After the 24 hours have passed then even a conditioner like Prime won't have any affect on your cycle.

Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads