Fish laying on bottom of tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gwtechie72, Jul 25, 2015.

1. g

gwtechie72 New Member Member

I am new to owning a fish tank. I originally had a 10 gallon tank, and had an interest in having a variety of fish. I upgraded to a 30 gallon tank. I have 2 black molly's, 1 Dalmatian molly, 3 Zebra Dano's. 2 gold dust molly's, 2 Cory Dora's, 3 red wag plats, and 1 loach (eel looking). I noticed some of the fish lay on the bottom of the tank. The tank temp is within the green section on the thermometer. I have 2 filters running at all times. Can someone help me out here and give me and idea as to what is happening.?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    Looks like you're on your way to MTS (Multiple Tank Syndrome) lol. Anyways, on your profile it says that you're not familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle. Here is a link that will explain the Nitrogen Cycle briefly https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
    Do you know what your water parameters are? You said that you upgraded to a 30 gallon tank, before adding anything the tank should be cycled. There might be some ammonia in the tank and that might be the cause of the fish staying at the bottom. I would recommend doing frequent water changes to bring the ammonia down ( if there is any). Also, I would recommend picking up a great water conditioner called Prime. Prime detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrates for 24 hours. Another piece of equipment I would recommend picking up if you haven't already is an API master test kit. This test kit will help you check your water parameters such as Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and pH. Very helpful and saves time and money. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    g

I use the test strips and it stats its neutral. The tank has been up and running for 4 days. I do thave a bottle of the aqua safe plus. I will look into the API Master kit. Any other suggestions?

4. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Hi and welcome, how long has this tank been running? Have you done a water test for ammonia & nitrite? How often do you do 25% or larger water changes?

: note to self : type faster.:;snail

I agree with the nimble typist, AquaticBrandon :;rules

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  5. OP
    OP
    g

Tank has been up and running for 4 days

6. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't rely on the test strips as they are inaccurate. Did you move any media or filters from the 10 gallon tank to the 30 gallon (if the filters were established and cycled) ?

7. P

Paul1976 New Member Member

Hi! If I was you I'd go down to the LFS today and buy the API freshwater master kit as others here have recommended so you can get a truer picture of what your levels are doing as in an uncycled tank with fish in-You could have some pretty high ammonia levels,possibly nitrite levels as well,both very toxic to fish...If the results show high levels of ammonia or nitrite,say above 0.5 ppm then I would suggest a large water change over 50% and add a bottle of Tetra safe start which is a bacterial booster product which in a lot of cases,if used correctly,can speed up the cycle of your tank considerably although the product does state that you shouldn't do any water changes for 14 days after adding it unless you see obvious signs of fish distress...Hope everything works out well for you and your fish. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  8. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to have you here! :D

I second (or just agree with) the suggestion for the API Freshwater Master Test Kit! I would say more, but looks like Brandon has summed it up pretty well haha! And yes, the strips are inaccurate, sorry to say.

9. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

If you have that many fish after it only being set up 4 days, then I can almost guarantee your fish are on the bottom because of ammonia or nitrite poisoning. I say almost because there have been some odd cases....
    Otherwise, which fish are on the bottom? I'm sure you know cories and loaches are bottom dwelling fish so it could just be that they are inactive. Also, what do you mean by "neutral"? Ammonia and nitrite should be 0ppm and nitrate should be under 40ppm. Unless your ph is over 8 or under 6, that's not really going to be a huge issue.

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed, your fish are likely suffering from ammonia poisoning. Not only are you pretty stocked but the fish you are stocked with have what we call a big bioload, which means they poop a lot and cause the ammonia levels to go up more than other fish.

11. OP
    OP
    g

I appreciate all the help here. I bought the API master test kit and the ph levels 7.6 ammonia is at .50, nitrite is at 0 and nitrate is at 5.0

12. Dom90

Ok then your tank is still cycling. What I would recommend is since you are heavily stocked in terms of bioload is to grab a bottle of Seachem Stability from Petco and Petsmart and follow the directions on the bottle. What water conditioner are you using?

13. OP
    OP
    g

aqua safe plus

14. Dom90

I recommend picking up a bottle of Seachem Prime, it's the best water conditioner on the market. It not only dechlorinates tap water but has the added bonus of detoxifying ammonia and nitrites till your bacteria can metabolize them.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437846361.355836.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
  15. OP
    OP
    g

Ok I will pick that up today. Thanks :)

16. kidster9700

Hey, do you know if that expires? This is a little off topic, but can be useful to know. I couldn't find an expiration date on mine and I have it from like five years ago.

17. Dom90

No expiration date, that's why I bought the 2L bottle on Amazon, should last me at least 2 years I think lol.

18. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

According to the Seachem website it has an almost indefinite shelf life

19. kidster9700

Okay, so the bigger the better then. That's useful information.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice