Fish Knocked Over Terracotta Pot Full Of Dirt 29 Gallon Tank

1. Sakana魚

Sakana魚 Well Known Member Member

So I planted my plants in a terracotta pots and I find today a couple knocked over and one empty. I must admit I am impressed because whoever did this is no where near as big as the pot.

The question now is how do I prevent this from happening again?

A picture of the mess
    1527525443665-1011988844.jpg

All the little white balls are all over the top of the aquarium too

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Those plants (mainly C.wendtii) will perfectly grow in the substrate. So I'd remove the pots or lay one or two on their side as hidingplace.

3. FishGirl38

FishGirl38 Valued Member Member

That is interesting, I see a rasbora, you don't have ANY cichlids in here? lol.

I'd try to fix-a-tiff rocks next to the pots. To kinda, secure them in place, It could've been current from your filter if it's placed in the right spot and is a strong enough filter, it could've caught the plant leaves and kinda, swayed the pot over. Putting some kinda stone next to and around them should keep them upright.

I wouldn't use just any potting substrate for your tank, I personally stick to aquarium substrate ( I know some people do pool sand, and potting soil as long as it's tank safe). I mean, do what works for you, but those tiny white balls could be a hazard to your fish?

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

You can try placing rocks the same size of the pots or bigger around them.

5. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Watch for an ammonia spike with that dirt loose.