Fish Keeper 101: Tools of the Hobby

Fish Keeper 101: Tools Of The Hobby

ashenwelt

ashenwelt submitted a new resource:

Fish Keeper 101: Tools of the Hobby - What tools did you not get at the local fish store, that you are going to need soon?

You’re a new fish keeper! So when you start out in aquaria, grabbing that first tank, the stores give you recommendations on a bunch of stuff. You get your tank, a fishnet, a filter, a heater, and your chemicals. The thing of it is, that there are many more things that fish keepers should keep at hand for their sojourn into the hobby. Hopefully, the sales person talked to you about the “Nitrogen Cycle” and if they sent you home with fish, we would all hope you sent you home with bacteria...

Read more about this resource...

Lchi87

Good general guide.

Might be helpful to note that test kits should be of the liquid type, since test strips are known to be inaccurate.

I'd also add a turkey baster to the list of essentials. I can't live without mine!

Dave125g

Good general guide.

Might be helpful to note that test kits should be of the liquid type, since test strips are known to be inaccurate.

I'd also add a turkey baster to the list of essentials. I can't live without mine!
I hear ya that turkey baster gets all the hard to reach areas.

Lchi87

Absolutely! Good for spot cleaning, target feeding difficult fish, sucking up fry and putting tank water into those API test vials!

grantm91

My best tip would be buckets, big buckets little buckets, enough buckets to house your fish and run your filters, that's what I have and they have been invaluable and they are a cheap must have for me. Also all the 2nd hand apps/sites, that's my input any way...

ashenwelt

Good general guide.

Thanks!

So I personally use the Seachem tests because they are a little tighter tolerances than the API. But remember, most stick tests are inaccurate. The problem is the brand that matches the API tests... I can never remember. LOL

I will come back and make some add-ons to the article after my next one is done. I took on a monster to explain... fish food. Trying to right a solid guide on it.

My best tip would be buckets, big buckets little buckets, enough buckets to house your fish and run your filters, that's what I have and they have been invaluable and they are a cheap must have for me. Also all the 2nd hand apps/sites, that's my input any way...

I always have 2 5 gallon and one 2.5 gallon... my wife is like: NO MORE!!!! LOL.

True. I use the syring for that... but I use a turkey baster in another place. May add that in.

Thanks all! Feedback is helpful! I wasn't sure how the articles should read so it was more my blogging style. Oh, and please rate! Thanks again!

BeanFish

Tetra test strips are decent from what I have seen. The only thing that I have needed from the list so far are syringes to feed the fish frozen food and to throw some food directly to the substrate for corydoras, it also helps to dose ferts.

Nada Mucho

I'd be in trouble without my aquascaping tools. More would include a water changing solution, gravel vacuum, buckets! (as grantm91 mentioned) and a work table come to mind right away.

ashenwelt

I'd be in trouble without my aquascaping tools. More would include a water changing solution, gravel vacuum, buckets! (as grantm91 mentioned) and a work table come to mind right away.

Buckets are on the list under essentials.

Should I add a water change system like siphons? The reason I didn't is I was trying for stuff the LFS doesn't push on you. And siphons seem like one people recommend... I thought.

Aquascaping tools are mine as well. I added one. But to me there are more a 200 level tool kit. Maybe a next step article? Thoughts?

Thoughts?

bgclarke

For me it's a 5 gallon bucket and two 2 gallon buckets.
Turkey baster is for removing pest snails from tanks, and removing waste from betta tanks.
Good quality in-tank thermometers.

Nada Mucho

Buckets are on the list under essentials.

Should I add a water change system like siphons? The reason I didn't is I was trying for stuff the LFS doesn't push on you. And siphons seem like one people recommend... I thought.

Aquascaping tools are mine as well. I added one. But to me there are more a 200 level tool kit. Maybe a next step article? Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Hmm well I use a powered system to change water and also have a cheapie Top Fin gravel vacuum that does the job. My current (and first) tank is a planted tank and those tools are essential for me but wouldn't be if you have fake or no plants. Maybe an algae scraper or razor blades, thermometer and I also have a clip-on light which I use when I have to take the LED lights off the versa-top and work on the tank.

VioletSS

I only skimmed the article - is toothbrush on there?
Because I use mine a lot. Just be sure to start with a new one that hasn't had any chemicals on it.

Nada Mucho

Good one VioletSS and you reminded me a must have, as I am running an Eheim canister filter, are cleaning brushes for the inside of the PVC tubing that runs to and from my filter.

ashenwelt

I only skimmed the article - is toothbrush on there?
Because I use mine a lot. Just be sure to start with a new one that hasn't had any chemicals on it.

Hey! Read LOL.

No, but I never thought of that. Interesting one.

VioletSS

I don't have time to read - I have fish to look at!

layful:

Nada Mucho

As a side note ashenwelt I keep reading San Diego on your profile badge and it's making me hungry. One of the places I miss the most down there is Bronx Pizza. I want a slice so bad right now. Please excuse the slight distraction but it's lunch time.

A pizza cutter probably isn't an essential aquarium tool but I could definitely work it in.

ashenwelt

As a side note ashenwelt I keep reading San Diego on your profile badge and it's making me hungry. One of the places I miss the most down there is Bronx Pizza. I want a slice so bad right now. Please excuse the slight distraction but it's lunch time.

A pizza cutter probably isn't an essential aquarium tool but I could definitely work it in.

Well get yourself back down here lol. Yeah, though I always end up down there when they are unexpectedly closed... lame. LOL

The aquatic club scene has gotten really good in SoCal these days as well.

How far up north are you?

Nada Mucho

Well get yourself back down here lol. Yeah, though I always end up down there when they are unexpectedly closed... lame. LOL

The aquatic club scene has gotten really good in SoCal these days as well.

How far up north are you?

Sacramento now a days. Met a girl... moved up. I lived right around UTC and worked in Del Mar for a few years after relocating from Jersey. I miss it very much. Only one place I miss more than Bronx pizza and that's Donovan's. Steak spot so good they didn't used to have have a sign telling you where it was. I think they moved out of UTC (near the mall) to downtown La Jolla but man.. best steak I ever had.

ashenwelt

Sacramento now a days. Met a girl... moved up. I lived right around UTC and worked in Del Mar for a few years after relocating from Jersey. I miss it very much. Only one place I miss more than Bronx pizza and that's Donovan's. Steak spot so good they didn't used to have have a sign telling you where it was. I think they moved out of UTC (near the mall) to downtown La Jolla but man.. best steak I ever had.

So several years ago a buddy and I broke off from Comic-Con and walked over to Donovan's to grab dinner without the three and four hour lines. So we were burnt, it was Saturday night and we had been doing Con for 4 days. The women folk had already bailed on us. So we were burnt, and needed relaxation. So we sat down, ordered food and drinks. Drinks we kept refilling. Now we didn't think about the refills but after a while we were getting creative. Now the problem was what we were drinking. I was doing 18 and 20 year single malts and my buddy was doing the same to their 18 and 20 year Irish whiskey. So we kept this up for over an hour and a half. We were getting 3 sheets to the wind but realized we had no food. None. Zip and nada. Just a happy bartender serving $50 drinks. So one drink every 10 minutes... we are each looking at $500 bar tabs. Sucks but it is what it is... but where was our food? We call a waiter over. He gets the manager.

"I am sorry, William Shatner's party had an issue. It stopped the whole restaurant and it will be another hour for your food. If your okay with staying I will get your next round and cover your drinks."

My buddy and I fall over each other saying, "Sure!"

And a happy $70 bill for each of us at the end of the night.

Life was good at Comic-Con.

Nada Mucho

So several years ago a buddy and I broke off from Comic-Con and walked over to Donovan's to grab dinner without the three and four hour lines. So we were burnt, it was Saturday night and we had been doing Con for 4 days. The women folk had already bailed on us. So we were burnt, and needed relaxation. So we sat down, ordered food and drinks. Drinks we kept refilling. Now we didn't think about the refills but after a while we were getting creative. Now the problem was what we were drinking. I was doing 18 and 20 year single malts and my buddy was doing the same to their 18 and 20 year Irish whiskey. So we kept this up for over an hour and a half. We were getting 3 sheets to the wind but realized we had no food. None. Zip and nada. Just a happy bartender serving $50 drinks. So one drink every 10 minutes... we are each looking at $500 bar tabs. Sucks but it is what it is... but where was our food? We call a waiter over. He gets the manager.

"I am sorry, William Shatner's party had an issue. It stopped the whole restaurant and it will be another hour for your food. If your okay with staying I will get your next round and cover your drinks."

My buddy and I fall over each other saying, "Sure!"

And a happy $70 bill for each of us at the end of the night.

Life was good at Comic-Con.

Now THAT is an outstanding story with a lovely and happy ending. Did you end up getting your steak?

ashenwelt

Now THAT is an outstanding story with a lovely and happy ending. Did you end up getting your steak?

That steak and the tip was the $70! We switched to water LOL. 11-12 drinks... we needed to walk back!

ashenwelt

Article updated! Hope you enjoy. If you like the article, please rate it and give a review!

Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views
Aprilbeingbasic
Replies