Resource icon

Fish Keeper 101: Feeding Aquatic Livestock

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ashenwelt submitted a new resource:

Fish Keeper 101: Feeding Aquatic Livestock - Discussion of types of fish food and the correct way to feed aquatic livestock.

So you are now a fish keeper and want to take the next step in your aquaria hobby! Congratulations for making the step to research feeding your aquatic livestock. Feeding the fish correctly is one of the keys to any successful keeping fish, it doesn’t matter if your aquatic livestock are in a jar, an aquarium or a pond. Without an adequate food supply your fish will neither grow nor maintain a healthy vigor, and their long term viability will be in jeopardy.

So before getting into a...
Read more about this resource...

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I haven't read the entire thing in detail, though I skimmed it. On the bottom, the "menu" for each day is totally unrealistic. I don't know anybody who feeds their fish 7 different kinds of food a day. Unless I'm reading that wrong?

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the entire thing in detail, though I skimmed it. On the bottom, the "menu" for each day is totally unrealistic. I don't know anybody who feeds their fish 7 different kinds of food a day. Unless I'm reading that wrong?
Nope. Your reading it right. And it actually is roughly what I feed my community. The idea is to give an example of a menu you can create. For example I found out by accident that my Congos absolutely love Cichlid pellets. Now the fluval bug bites are tests that I have slid in for a long term change.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So you feed each of those types of food in one day? While you may do it, that is way overkill for the average hobbyist. I usually just feed two types of food per day: veggies for the herbivores and then alternate between live, frozen, flake, and pellet for the others. Maybe simplify it so people reading it don't think that that is necessary?

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So you feed each of those types of food in one day? While you may do it, that is way overkill for the average hobbyist. I usually just feed two types of food per day: veggies for the herbivores and then alternate between live, frozen, flake, and pellet for the others. Maybe simplify it so people reading it don't think that that is necessary?
I will add a line in there about the extreme example.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Please do. I don't know how you put all of those in one tank at one time without overfeeding.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Please do. I don't know how you put all of those in one tank at one time without overfeeding.
In small batches in a little over an hour. My wife when I am not available simplifies massively.

Please review the update.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Simplify the simple (and most popular) version even more. One type of food per day.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Simplify the simple (and most popular) version even more. One type of food per day.
Hmm. The thing there is that I actually don't approve of one type per day... it part of my philosophy. I wouldn't want the same food every day. And my fish seem to do better with variety. I am trying to break people from it. I may be able to simplify more... but one food every day to me just isn't healthy. Now varying per day... that isn't something I have ever done. I have always mixed (well once I moved beyond tetramin back in the dawn of time).

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are you trying to make an article to help everyone or are you trying to make one for people to do exactly as you do? If it's the latter, it's not very helpful.

I'm not saying one type of food every day, but if people want to do that, they can. I was suggesting something more along the lines of "another option would be to feed a different type of food each day. Monday - flakes; Tuesday - pellets; Wednesday - frozen bloodworms; Thursday - pellets; Friday - flakes; Saturday - frozen brine shrimp; Sunday - fast"

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to make an article to help everyone or are you trying to make one for people to do exactly as you do? If it's the latter, it's not very helpful.

I'm not saying one type of food every day, but if people want to do that, they can. I was suggesting something more along the lines of "another option would be to feed a different type of food each day. Monday - flakes; Tuesday - pellets; Wednesday - frozen bloodworms; Thursday - pellets; Friday - flakes; Saturday - frozen brine shrimp; Sunday - fast"
Obviously help all Texas, you should know that by now. That was part of why I needed some clarity here.

I will say so still have never done it. Have you had luck with that style of feeding? My concern is for picky eaters.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Forgot fasting days... argh. I don't use them but they need to be there.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, that's what I do now, with the exception that I add veggies every day for my pleco and twig cats. It works very well. I have a few wild caught fish, and they get used to feeding this way quickly. Most picky eaters learn to accept food when they can. It's only for the specialized feeders (scarlet badis, puffers, etc.) that this will differ. But you can make a note on that, as offering them 7 different types of dry food won't help.

This seems like it's supposed to help the average hobbyist, including those who are beginners. You're making it way more complicated with that schedule that it should be. Not everyone can take an hour and a half to feed their fish 7 different types of food. I'd even argue that that is unhealthy to feed that much to a single tank in a day. Variety is a good thing, but that variety does not have to be all in one day.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I do now, with the exception that I add veggies every day for my pleco and twig cats. It works very well. I have a few wild caught fish, and they get used to feeding this way quickly. Most picky eaters learn to accept food when they can. It's only for the specialized feeders (scarlet badis, puffers, etc.) that this will differ. But you can make a note on that, as offering them 7 different types of dry food won't help.

This seems like it's supposed to help the average hobbyist, including those who are beginners. You're making it way more complicated with that schedule that it should be. Not everyone can take an hour and a half to feed their fish 7 different types of food. I'd even argue that that is unhealthy to feed that much to a single tank in a day. Variety is a good thing, but that variety does not have to be all in one day.
Added some clarity and another example that is simpler. Also added fasting days.

If you get a chance, read the whole article. Its aimed for beginner to advanced... though I did not include much on live food. That deserves another article.

OnTheFly

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I haven't read all the thread responses yet. Overall a very good resource. IMO the menu would be over the top for a typical aquarist with a 29G and a dozen or so fish. Discussing all the nutrition choices is very useful information though. Thanks for taking the time to write the article.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom