fish keep dying!!

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I'm farely new to all this fish keeping! we have had a tank set up for roughly 6 and half mths but didnt start stocking until about 2 mths after. We did have 11 fish eventually before they all started dying! I will list the fish we had incase it helps, we had 4xadult mollys,3xbaby mollys, 1xgourami, 1x fighterfish, 1x small catfish (only slightly bigger than the adult mollys) and 1x small sucker fish (not sure what their real name is sorry!). We now only have 1 adult molly, 1 baby molly, fighter fish and the gouramI left. I have no idea what is goin on!! 3 of the fish we have lost I found stuck behind my filter?? the others have all just been floating around the tank. We have always had a promblem with green water and algee from about a month after adding our first lot of fish but I have had the water checked a couple of weeks ago and the pet store said its fine. Any idea why they are all dying? should I buy a different filter?
thanx in advance for any answers.
charlie092

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore

If you get your water tested at the LFS I would ask them for specific numbers as I have had them tell me it's fine with .25 ammonia .25 nitrites and zero nitrates and wasn't cycled yet and that is not fine. I bought myself an API liquid master test kit so I could get my own numbers as some LFS employees are not really as concerned or informed about your setup as you are.

As far as the green water, what type of filter are you using and on what size tank? Do you keep the lights on all the time or barely? If you could fill out your aquarium info up top in the "my settings" option we could probably help you a bit more.

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi
I have filled in some of the info. its a 60litre tank and the filter is a stingray underwater filter (15) made by elite, it came witht he tank as we bought it as a package. we used to have the light on for about 4 or 5 hrs in the evening but I fear the tank may be gettin more than enough natural light during the day anyway. its not directly under a window or anythin but is in line with our back door which has two huge glass panels.
thanx

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If by fighter fish you mean a Betta then he may not get along with the gourami(what kind is this btw? 3 spot,pearl,etc?)but I am not 100%. But the gouramI may be a bit much for a 15 unless it is a smaller version. Direct sunlight will definitely contribute to your algae problem. Try to move the tank to a corner or somewhere where the sunlight is more indirect. If you only use the aquarium lighting 4-5 hours a day that is actually fine. If you keep the Molly fry you may need to upgrade as your filter may not be enough for the 2 adult mollies,gourami,and betta, or at least do water changes often to keep the nitrates down.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know the tank you are talking about, it come in a kit, right,
Blkdeath is right, you need specific numbers, it could even be a desease that you haven't looking at,
How long has it taken for all of your RIP fish to die? (time span)
Do you clean out your filter? you could be killing off bacteria colonies.

Reply as soon as you can.

Ranga

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm sorry about your fish.

Assuming the tank is properly cycled (and your profile says you know about the nitrogen cycle), I have a strong suspicion that the fighter fish, if it is a betta, is what's killing the other fish. Some bettas can do well in community tanks, some will kill all the other fish and some will play nice for awhile and just snap one day without warning. Even if the betta isn't directly attacking the fish, simply having it in there can stress the others to death.

Of course we need to rule out the ammonia or nitrite poisoning first, but the betta is my contender after that.

-Lisa

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hI everyone

thanks for your replies. we have actualled had the betta fish from about a wk after we satrted adding fish, he seems to keep himself to himself staying around the filter all the time.. however recently (over the past couple of wks) him and my gouramI (which is only slightly bigger than my adult molly) have not been getting along they seem to be chasing each other around the tank and look like they are having little scraps. other than that I have never seen the betta taking any notice at all of the other fish. 2 of my baby mollys (1 is now dead) seem to have a thing about my gouramI aswell and would chase him around all day.. could it be a problem with him maybe? I'm not sure because again I haven't seen him "going" at any of the fish unless they do to him first. I will take a trip to the fish shop in the wk and ask for a water testing. They have all been slowing dying over a period of 2-3 mths, we have now lost 7 altoghether over that time.
thanks again people
charlie

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I may be about to lose my last adult molly now aswell.. it has just stayed at the bottom of the tank all day. I haven't seen the betta fish anywhere near it so I'm thinking maybe its just sick? I'm totally clueless of how to solve this problem!! pretty soon my tank will be fishless!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI Charlie welcome to FishLore
I'm really sorry about your fish. It would be a good idea to get a good liquid test kit of your own.
When things go wrong it's best to rule out water conditions first.

I think, with the fish in your tank, you need to take stress in consideration.
Can you imagine being chased all day? It's the same for a fish, except he has no where to go.

Can you post a picture of your tank?
At this point, I'd suggest a series of daily water changes, leave the light on less and in your other thread, moving the tank away from the window should help.

I'd also suggest getting the betta a 5 gallon tank of it's own to reduce the stress in the tank.

Good luck!

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore!

I'm sorry you're having problems with your fish...

If you can't get to the pet store soon, check your fishes vitals (such as colour, eyes and gills) and post them to us. Even though we don't know what's going on with your fish, one thing for sure is that water changes with prime or amquel will help. The green water is an algae bloom, which may be the effect of over feeding or too much light, which would also be adding to the water parameters anyway. I suggest cutting the lights to 4-5 a day and maybe draping a towel over the door, to stop the sunlight. Gouramis and Bettas are both anabantids, which have a labyrinth organ, and like most relatives, fight. lol. Also look for small (as in TINY) spots or white fluff on any fish, as these are diseases, and will have to be treated. Especially if fish are stressed, they are prone to diseases.

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hI everyone

unfortunatly I was right about my adult molly, it died a couple of hrs ago so we now only have 3 fish left which are 1 betta, 1 gouramI and a baby molly which is only about 4 mths old or so. My molly spent nearly the whole day in the exact same place until it died. I have studied it and can't see anything different about it other than perhaps its eyes might have been a little bit bigger but I can't be sure. I think I'm gonna have to take a trip to the fish shop and stock up on a few things... firstly my own testing kit! unfortunatly the way things are going I won't need to buy a separte tank at all for my betta.. I'm just lost as to what to do when I don't really know the problem :s
thanks all for your replies

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So has it calmed down?

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
morning, unfortunatly it looks like my 1 remaining baby molly is about to die aswell. This one is a bit different to yesterdays one though. It seems to have no controll over where it is swimming, he is goin sideways, upside down.. could that be something to do with swim bladder? my poor fish! I don't have any testing strips here at the moment so I can't even test my water.. its really quite upsetting to watch though

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Kunsthure said:
Welcome to Fish Lore!

I'm sorry about your fish.

Assuming the tank is properly cycled (and your profile says you know about the nitrogen cycle), I have a strong suspicion that the fighter fish, if it is a betta, is what's killing the other fish. Some bettas can do well in community tanks, some will kill all the other fish and some will play nice for awhile and just snap one day without warning. Even if the betta isn't directly attacking the fish, simply having it in there can stress the others to death.

Of course we need to rule out the ammonia or nitrite poisoning first, but the betta is my contender after that.

-Lisa
+1 lisa!

You need to separate the betta from the other fish in the tank. You also need to be doing daily 35-50% waterchanges because you can not test your water and it is not cycled.

Other than that I agree with what lisa said.

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
is all hope lost for this baby molly now then? its so frustrating because the betta was one of the very first fish we had and seemed to get on fine with all the others. The only fish he seems to have a problem with is my gourami. I'm trying desperatly to find a new tank for the betta fast but looks like its only going to be him and my gouramI left after today is my baby mollys odd swimming just down to stress from the betta then? seems strange.. he's always been a bit feisty himself, chasing round my gouramI aswell!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
charlie092 said:
is all hope lost for this baby molly now then? its so frustrating because the betta was one of the very first fish we had and seemed to get on fine with all the others. The only fish he seems to have a problem with is my gourami. I'm trying desperatly to find a new tank for the betta fast but looks like its only going to be him and my gouramI left after today is my baby mollys odd swimming just down to stress from the betta then? seems strange.. he's always been a bit feisty himself, chasing round my gouramI aswell!
Your betta and gouramI will probably fight to the death after the molly is gone too. I would be suprised if you had one intact fish after this is all said and done. I am sorry

If you really don't want your fish to die you could take the betta or gouramI (or both) back to your fish store. Get yourself a good testing kit, most of us use the API liquid master test kit (around 800 tests), you can get it from walmart or ebay for under $20 to your door.

Learn about the nitrogen cycle and then restock your tank with compatible fish. Your whole experience will be better I promise!

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well I think from now on I won't be using the same pet store.. I have always listed the fish I have when buying new ones to check they are compatible and they have always reassured me they would be fine together! The only thing they said to me was that I couldnt have another betta in the same tank as the one I have as they don't get on with each other. Its very upsetting as these two are both my favourites.. need to decide what to do I guess and fast. Thanks for your replies

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You can't really blame the store. They are there to sell you stuff and even if the employees have good intentions the usually just parrot what they heard from somewhere else. You should do your research before you go so you know your making educated decisions for these animals in your care.

After all, not many people know off hand the personality traits and quirks of EVERY fish, that is why you research before you get a pet, not after.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but I'm sure you understand how uneducated decisions end up, given your situation.

charlie092

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I understand that, I'm just saying that a lot of people on here seem to know there would be trouble with a gouramI and a betta being in the same tank.. the employees at this store claI'm to be qualified in keeping fish which obviously must not be 100% true...

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads