Fish Keep Dying. Tank Is Cycled

ddolan83

Reaction score
I have a 45 gallon with fluval 307 canister on it. I have been losing fish every day. I lost 5 today (1 angel, 2 rummy nose,1 neon terra, 1 xray pristillas) and over the past two or three months since the tank has been running the death toll has been higher. Including 5 angels 12 neons and 6 rummy. My water is perfect my LFS says PH 7.7 ish ammonia 0 nitrite0 and nitrate is 5.0. They don’t know what’s going on either. I’ve doing weekly water changes of 25% in addition to my monthly 50. My tank is fully cycled. I’m at a loss....

My survivors are 3 angels 2 neons, 5 pristillas, 10 rummy nose, 2 SAE.

My only thought is the hardness of my water. My Angels stay at the top and rarely swim around.... my water is a bit white/ cloudy so since tank is cycled must be calcium. Thoughts?

I bought a hardness test kit and one of those filter pillows. I live in NJ. Has anybody else experience this? Thanks

acjag

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 45 gallon with fluval 307 canister on it. I have been losing fish every day. I lost 5 today (1 angel, 2 rummy nose,1 neon terra, 1 xray pristillas) and over the past two or three months since the tank has been running the death toll has been higher. Including 5 angels 12 neons and 6 rummy. My water is perfect my LFS says PH 7.7 ish ammonia 0 nitrite0 and nitrate is 5.0. They don’t know what’s going on either. I’ve doing weekly water changes of 25% in addition to my monthly 50. My tank is fully cycled. I’m at a loss....

My survivors are 3 angels 2 neons, 5 pristillas, 10 rummy nose, 2 SAE.

My only thought is the hardness of my water. My Angels stay at the top and rarely swim around.... my water is a bit white/ cloudy so since tank is cycled must be calcium. Thoughts?

I bought a hardness test kit and one of those filter pillows. I live in NJ. Has anybody else experience this? Thanks
Do you have live plants? Are you injecting CO2? Besides filter is there anything else in aquarium turning water over such as a air stone? What's your water temp? When you do WC are your also doing gravel vac? How long has this tank/filter combination been running? What type of media is in your filter? Are you growing any algae? In my experience cloudy water meant I lost BB.

You say your tank is cycled but is it really? I know we are to trust our tools and equipment but I couldn't tell you how many times my GPS has sent me down a no outlet road or want me to drive down an embankment and through a stream to get to my destination.

Last edited by a moderator:

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Especially since you're losing a lot of fish, I'd recommend you buy an API Master Test Kit or one of similar quality so you can test the water yourself and rely on the results. Knowing the water parameters is so important especially when cycling is involved. Do you know what kind of test kit the LFS uses? If they're using test strips, those are notorious for being unreliable. If I was experiencing a lot of fish deaths, I wouldn't want to rely on anyone else's test results.

ddolan83

Reaction score
Especially since you're losing a lot of fish, I'd recommend you buy an API Master Test Kit or one of similar quality so you can test the water yourself and rely on the results. Knowing the water parameters is so important especially when cycling is involved. Do you know what kind of test kit the LFS uses? If they're using test strips, those are notorious for being unreliable. If I was experiencing a lot of fish deaths, I wouldn't want to rely on anyone else's test results.

I guess there’s was confusion. These are my results using the test kit. My cloudiness is on inside of my glass. My tank is cycled I have not had ammonia spikes in the last two or three months. I have been putting sechem stability init and prime. My tank did go thru the whole cloudy bloom etc months ago. So yes i believe it’s cycled....

My question is has anyone one experience a lost of fish due water hardness...

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cloudy water could mean there's issues. Also sometimes tds (total dissolved salts/solids) can affect things, usually invertebrates but if at extreme levels maybe fish too.
Have you ever sprayed anything near tank for cleaning windows, air freshener etc?
Also have you ever had a different stocking in the tank and they died? What were the first fish you added? Did any go down among them? If there were disease problems before it's possible it got passed on. Have there been any unusual symptoms (bent spine, spots, scales sticking out, finicky movements, serious bloating, spinning head down, weird looking fins)?
Also do you have a phosphate test kit? I'm pretty sure if you have lots of algae, there can be lots of phosphates and if at big levels they can be toxic.
There are a lot of things that can go wrong and unfortunately sometimes it's hard to find the problem
Hope here we can help though. Give us updates.

ddolan83

Reaction score

I guess there’s was confusion. These are my results using the test kit. My cloudiness is on inside of my glass. My tank is cycled I have not had ammonia spikes in the last two or three months. I have been putting sechem stability init and prime. My tank did go thru the whole cloudy bloom etc months ago. So yes i believe it’s cycled....

My question is has anyone one experience a lost of fish due water hardness...
You say your tank is cycled but is it really? I know we are to trust our tools and equipment but I couldn't tell you how many times my GPS has sent me down a no outlet road or want me to drive down an embankment and through a stream to get to my destination.
Do you have live plants? Are you injecting CO2? Besides filter is there anything else in aquarium turning water over such as a air stone? What's your water temp? When you do WC are your also doing gravel vac? How long has this tank/filter combination been running? What type of media is in your filter? Are you growing any algae? In my experience cloudy water meant I lost BB.

I do the grave vac yes. Tank been running since May. Been using stability and prime etc as well. I was told I was out of the “new tank syndrome phase”. I have live plants no co2 injection. I was told air stones are pointless. As long as I have good circulation. and agitation on top I should be ok with out that.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Angels are known to stay up the top of the water, mine do it unless its feeding time. Do you have an air stone in your tank? Air stones are very important in any tank to help with oxygen for the fish. I agree with the above post, try to get yourself the API master test kit as soon as you can.
How long has it been since you stopped the canister filter and opened it, taking out all the media and washing it gently in a bucket of tank water? Do you have gravel or sand and if so do you vacuume it regular?
If I was loosing this amount of fish the first thing I would be doing is moving them to a hospital tank, all of them. Then I would be searching my main tank for reasons, I would be going over the whole tank from top to bottom and filter too. There has to be a reason for the fish loss. Are any of the fish showing any signs of illness? Spots, marks on them, anything?

Air atones are not pointless, they are very important. Why are you still using stability? One your tank is cycled you do not need to continue the use of stability, it is only to kick start the BB in a new tank.... Prime at water changes yes, always.

Last edited by a moderator:

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok....here is what jumps out at me...

Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? Or was it a fish-in cycle that began when you started adding fish? I ask because your tank is very new. 3 months old is a very new tank and the cycling process can take a while, especially if there are a lot of fish added. And you have already added enough fish to have LOST 5 angels 12 neons and 6 rummys and you still have 3 angels 17 tetras and 2 SAEs....So that is a LOT of fish to have purchased and added to a tank that has only been running a few months. I am going to guess you have water quality issues going on. Despite what the tests have shown.

Why did you say that the LFS told you what the readings were if you tested them yourself? I am confused by that.

Cloudy water.....2-3 month old tank....45 fish added during that short period of time, many of which have died....I am pretty confident in saying the cloudy water is a bacterial bloom in an uncycled tank. Or a tank that doesn't have a filter with enough filter media to hold all the beneficial bacteria. And the deaths are the result of poor water quality.

Angels shouldn't be hanging out at the top. If that is what they are doing all the time, they aren't feeling well. Do you have enough water movement/oxygen in the tank? Could you share a photo of the tank with us?

My advice is daily water changes with seachem prime until the deaths stop and the cloudy water is gone. And possibly more filtration.

Last edited:

ddolan83

Reaction score
I’ve lost pretty much everything now. 5 pristillas 2 Rummy nose left and 2 SAE. Did a water test with two different kits. The api master and tetra 6 in one test strips as well to test water hardness. Water hardness came back fine. Again I always use the api master.
After 30 %water change my tank is looking better meaning clearer....
I added an air pump and 2 stones. Im willing to try anything at this now. My LFS told me to start using stability again and raise the temp of the tank a few degrees.

If I lost my BB wouldn’t my test readings come back out of whack?
My fish are not showing any signs of illness...
I don’t clean near my tank so I doubt anything got into it...
I’m all out options .

CarolAnne

Reaction score
I’m sorry this must be so distressing. I don’t have any advice as I am still learning, but I hope you figure it out.
This question may seem really strange, but when you test nitrates with the API master test kit do you make sure to vigorously shake the 2nd bottle of testing solution before you put it in the test tube. This was an embarrassing mistake I had someone point out to me. I had read the instruction book without my reading glasses and somehow missed that I had to shake the bottle of solution and not just the test tube. I thought my nitrates were zero. When I followed the instructions to the letter I found out my nitrates were through the roof.
Good luck. I hope you figure it out.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi there,
My first thing is, don't buy any more fish at this stage, until you have things under control anyway.
When you say your water hardness came back "Fine", we need the numbers, telling us the tests are fine doesn't help. Please tell us the readings of the hardness tests and also the master test kit tests....
Im so glad you added an air pump and stones, that is very beneficial for your fish. Your tank looks good, what is the exact temperature of your tank?
We need to know figures, it helps us help you

acjag

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's the skeleton head dude you're scaring your fish to death. LOL. I agree with others statements we need numbers in order to provide you with more help. Also what type substrate are you using? Has nothing to do with your issues its just in pictures it appears white?

ddolan83

Reaction score
White gravel... numbers are at top of thread.

My question is... how do you know if you kill the beneficial bacteria off? Are there symptoms. I’m familiar with nitrogen cycle....

ddolan83

Reaction score
I’m sorry this must be so distressing. I don’t have any advice as I am still learning, but I hope you figure it out.
This question may seem really strange, but when you test nitrates with the API master test kit do you make sure to vigorously shake the 2nd bottle of testing solution before you put it in the test tube. This was an embarrassing mistake I had someone point out to me. I had read the instruction book without my reading glasses and somehow missed that I had to shake the bottle of solution and not just the test tube. I thought my nitrates were zero. When I followed the instructions to the letter I found out my nitrates were through the roof.
Good luck. I hope you figure it out.

Thank I’ll give that a shot tho

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My question is... how do you know if you kill the beneficial bacteria off? Are there symptoms. I’m familiar with nitrogen cycle....
You test the water. If your tank was cycled that would be indicated by an accurate test kit. Zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and a nitrate reading would indicate the aquarium is cycled. If you have those numbers, then later you test and find ammonia and/or nitrites, something broke the cycle (killed off the BB).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom