Fish Keep Dying Need Your Opinion

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BetaGL, Apr 20, 2019.

1. BetaGLNew MemberMember

Hi,
    I need your help
    I have 100L tank that has been setup 1 month before I bought fishes and everything was fine.
    For about 1 week Fishes keep dying one by one. Those days i lost 3 fishes and I think I will los more..
    I change 40% of water every week. I have heater temperature is 26celsius. I have air pump& filter. I use antychlorine , also i use it when i do water change. Yestorday I received 'easy life voogle' to raise immune system on fish and started to use it .
    Do you have any throught what can happen?

2. DonthemonValued MemberMember

3. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

If your tank wasnt cycled when you added the fish, then ammonia built up and poisoned them. Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is or how/what cycling your tank is? If so, how did you cycle it, to what PPM ammonia and when you added your fish, exactly what type and how many did you add?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  4. LajosValued MemberMember

1)How many fish do you keep?
    2)What type of fish do you keep?
    3)What are the symptoms before the fish die?
    Any white spots on the fish bodies/fins/ tails?
    Any heavy breathing or fish breathing very fast?
    Any clamped fins, or abnormal appearance?

Here are some websites of fish diseases and ammonia poisoning:

5. goldfishexpertNew MemberMember

You should run your tank for 8 weeks before you put your fish in (and quarantine them)

6. Ankur's fishesNew MemberMember

Try a larger tank with filter running 24/7

7. KiksWell Known MemberMember

As some of the others have suggested, we need to know what fish you keep and whether or not you cycled the tank. You say you let the tank be for one month without adding fish, but having a tank running with no source of ammonia wont do anything. It will not prepare your filter for the bio load and if you don't have a source of ammonia during that one month the result is the same as adding the fish the same day you set up the tank.

If you did cycle the tank, what might've happened is that you added too many fish too fast. Even with a cycled tank you shouldn't add a bunch of fish all at once or you might make your filter have a mini cycle.

8. BetaGLNew MemberMember

I cycled the tank and first time i aded 4 fishes zebra fish and molly fish.
    But after 3 weeks I was at bigger shop of out my country and bought about 12 fishes. I added them all at once, but for 2 weeks there was everything normal. I noticed today one fish has some white spots and some fish look like poor ones, to weak staying in same place.

9. H2oAngelsValued MemberMember

If your tank was originally cycled adding 12 fish all at once very likely threw your tanks bio load all out of wack. Sounds to me like you caused a mini cycle. You will not get very good advice unless we know your water parameters. API master kit , test test test.

The white spots are more than likely ick, and the the fish staying in the same spot is a huge red flag (stress induced). It sounds like your water quality has takin a turn for the worst. Poor water quality will kill your fish silently and affectively. Run water tests.

10. BetaGLNew MemberMember

I changed about 50% of water today.
    1. I keep about 25 fishes
    2. Molly, zebra, neon tetra, guppies, guami and some other but don't know names I'm a beginner.
    3. Fishes get slow and stay down in tank for 2-3 days and die. Those who slow down they fins are damaget they stay clamped. Just one fish has white spots.

I live in country when I can't find any water tester in shops. I have to purchase them online they come for about 2 weeks. I will order it but i thinks 15 days are to much for my fishes

11. H2oAngelsValued MemberMember

I would honestly do a 50 percent change at least daily until you can test the water. That’s a good amount of fish in a smaller tank. Like I said you are more than likely re-cycling at this point. I’m currently cycling 2 tanks, a 20 gallon and a 65 gallon. The 20 gallon has two angelfish, today my nitrite spiked to 2.0 ppm. My 65 gallon has 2 angels, 1 flying fox and 7 neon tetra. Your tank converts to about 26 gallons. So basically you have 1 fish per gallon of water. Your water is going to fluctuate very fast. I would change another 50 percent in a few hours. That way your starting with relatively clean water. Then do 50 percent every day until you can test the water affectively.

12. BetaGLNew MemberMember

So you think that reason is bad quality of water ?
    I was thinking the same but just thinking cause I can't do a water test.
    Could you explain to me how to improve my water quality with some steps. I read a lot but I think is better to get sugestions from someone who do this than someone who just copy-paste from other sources.

13. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

We still arent getting enough/correct info.

What size is the tank, how did you cycle it? Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? "About 12 fishes" doesnt tell us exactly how many or what type. What size is the tank? You have a ton of fish, and lots of different fish, so if you dont have a large enough tank youre going to have continued problems.

Just setting up a tank and running it doesnt "cycle" it, and then adding 12 fish all at once more than likely caused a huge ammonia spike. Your tank more than likely is NOT cycled and youre now doing a fish-in cycle. You really need to be doing large water changes daily unless you have a test kit and you know EXACTLY what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are. Keep ammonia and nitrites under 1, as close to 0 as possible. Its going to take a couple months to get this under control to where you wont have to be doing constant water changes.

14. H2oAngelsValued MemberMember

All you really can do is change water. Water testing is the most important aspect of the hobby. Without water testing we don’t know what we are reacting to. Everything you have said sounds poor water quality related. We don’t know your water quality so in my opinion the best course of action would be over the top water changes. This might exponentially slow any cycle progress but it will help your fish. Just make sure you match water temp and use the same water supply if you can’t test ph. After a few days of heavy water changing you should be looking for healthy signs in the fish. ( eating aggressively is my major green flag. If the fish are happy to eat they’re more often than not happy fish. By doing water changes everyday you are becoming the beneficial bacteria. Your tank isn’t detoxifying the water so you have to. Once you can test the water you’ll be able to slow down the changes and only do them when your water tests come back high.

15. Do0kskiValued MemberMember

That's the problem. You may have cycled the tank but adding 12 fish all at once is going to throw it into another cycle. Think about it this way. You have a portapotty and you shove 5 people in it. It gets stinky for sure but the Jon can handle it and everyone is able to fit their turds down the hole. Then you decide to throw 12 more people in it and all the poo starts coming out and keeps building up. Now you do that in a well-experienced bathroom (taco bells Jon) and it can handle alll the poos because the cycle can handle what taco bell does to our bodies........ way off track there.. AKA you have to have a lot of beneficial bacteria to handle adding 12 poopers all at once.

16. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

My opinion, Order a test kit online. API Master test kit is a good one.
    Order or buy some Seachem Prime (this will help protect your fish from the ammonia and nitrites I'm sure are in your water.
    After your kit and Prime arrive, test your water
    While you're waiting for your test kit do 50% water changes daily. You have a lot of fish for a 100 liter tank. Treat all replacement water with dechlorinator.
    Also while you're waiting for your test kit and Prime, study this:
    https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
    It will help you understand why your water is poisoning your fish and give you the first basic knowledge of the bacterial balance needed in a tank to keep fish healthy.

17. Do0kskiValued MemberMember

Also. white spots are a sign of ICK and you may have a case of Tuberculosis

18. Do0kskiValued MemberMember

If your fish die don't get any more fish. Make sure you have a solid cycle and all your fish are healthy then you can get 1 to 3 more fish. Add the fish along with some quick start and give it another week or two before getting more fish. That cycle is key to a healthy aquarium.

19. guppgirlValued MemberMember

We definitely also need to know what sort of fish, how many of each, and what else is in your tank. It kind of sounds like you just have a random mix of fish thrown in, no real schools, but its hard to tell without hearing exactly what's in the tank.