Fish keep dying. Maybe parasite?

GouramiGuy714

So in the last few weeks 2 guppies have died and this morning a panda corydora (the one who I’ve had the longest) is sick and thrashing and very pale.

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10

Where I live we can barely get any fish meds so I don’t know what to do if it is a parasite or some sort of disease. In the guppies it kind of looked like livebearers disease but can a cory get it?

Its a 30 gallon tank with
2 male guppies :(
2 thick lipped gourami
1 female pearl gourami
6 harlequin rasboras
2 otos
4 corydoras (one is sick)

GouramiGuy714

What is the water volume of the tank? 30 gal
How long has the tank been running? About 7 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78 degrees Fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Showed above

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once a week
How much of the water do you change? 20-30 percent
What do you use to treat your water? Prime and aquarium salt
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? i vacuum the gravel

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:10
pH: 7.3

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? As much as they can eat in a few minutes but bottom feeders take longer
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluva bug bites, aqueon tropical flakes, API bottom feeder pellets with shrimp and big als frozen delights frozen bloodworm cube once a week and blanched cucumber once a week for the otos
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 5 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Thrashing around and then staying on his side for a few minutes
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Become very pale and barbels are damaged( it started today)

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) showed above

Upvote 0

bobduhgeek

Do you have a quarantine tank? How many fish are exhibiting different behavior? Is there any bloating? What have you added to the tank recently?
I would suggest trying the old blanched peas and garlic trick to see if it's digestive. Given your tank is 7 months, are your guppies mature and have they been breeding? What gender where the guppies who died?
If it is a parasite, you need to identify it. Isolating the sick fish would be a good option if you can. Unfortunately, there is no silver bullet to treat sick fish. Spend as much time as you can observing the tank. Carefully watch the fish poop. Is it stringy, thick, long, dark or transparent. These are all clues to determine what's going on. Look at the mouth, eyes and gills. Is there anything different about them, changes in color, bumps, fuzzy stuff growing on them. Some worms will actually show up outside the anus, they can look like a very fine thread.
Your discription of the cory being light colored and thrashing on it's side definitely is a fish in distress, but it could be anything. Cories are notoriously sensitive to change - in my opinion - I'm sure someone will disagree - but it could be some fluctuation in the water parms that is bugging it out.
You are right to be concerned. Three fish in a couple of weeks is a bad thing. But you have to figure out what is doing it or if it's coincidence and the natural way of a tank's lifetime.
Please keep us posted. Post pics! Take a video of the tank and put it up for us to see.

Upvote 0

GouramiGuy714

Right now no fish have symptom, because the Cory died. I did give the tank about six shelled and blanched peas. I did notice that the otocinclus‘s mouth and nostril thingys are a bit whiter than normal. As for a quarantine tank, I have a 2 gallon ”hospital” tank but i think it’s too small. The guppies were all males and one of the guppies that is still alive was sick and I put him in the “hospital” tank and he got better. That was probably a few months ago
Cories are notoriously sensitive to change
definitely agree

image.jpgGood guppy
image.jpgotocinclus, maybe something on top of the head?

i don’t know how to take videos, sorry!

Upvote 0

GouramiGuy714

A peppered Cory now was floating at the top and we thought he was dead, but when we tried to net him, he swam away. He is now a bit off balance but is swimming at leas. I would send a video if I knew how to. I just remembered last week we were changing the background and we forgot to turn the heater and filter back on for one night. The temp dropped from 77-72. Could this have killed these fish. maybe the stress of this killed them?
A6E03D92-ABBA-46F2-9389-F0C6BA3B3945.jpegcory. He looks fine now but he wasjust floating on his side at the top of the tank! WHAT

Attachments

• E470486D-EFBB-4AC4-93BC-089F33B6F556.jpeg
    E470486D-EFBB-4AC4-93BC-089F33B6F556.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 17
  • A3FBCA8C-042B-450A-9BD5-7D28BB5F648A.jpeg
    A3FBCA8C-042B-450A-9BD5-7D28BB5F648A.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

bobduhgeek

If you have been redecorating the tank, it's likely that something you put in the tank is toxic. I would take everything you added to the tank out and do a large water change - 80 to 90%. Fish are sensitive to all sorts of things, for example - you might wash things from the tank off with dish soap to clean them up and then replace them in the tank - even very small amounts of dish soap are highly toxic to fish and can wipe out a tank. I suspect you may have added something that is causing the problem.
Take everything out, deep vacuum the gravel and do a large water change.

Upvote 0

GouramiGuy714

We were actually just changing the plastic background behind the tank, and didn’t change anything inside the tank but I still will do the water change just in case. I’ll keep you posted!

Upvote 0

bobduhgeek

Try to be as careful to match the ph and temperature. Keep a close eye on parm changes in the water.

Upvote 0

GouramiGuy714

Ok did the change tank seems good and the peppered cory is hangin out in the hospital tank. I’m closely monitoring him but he seems good. I am going to wait one or two more days till I put him back to make sure nothing is wrong, as it is easier to watch him there. hmmm I’m completely stuck on what’s happening other fish seems good but at this point it seems like at least one sick fish per wee. I’m trying to watch the poop, the only piece I found was from a gourami, and seems thick and brown. I think that’s good. i will watch to find anything abnormal or parasite-ish. I’ll keep you posted

Upvote 0

bobduhgeek

I would suggest you keep a very close eye on your water parms. Test it at least weekly. I would test the tap water *before* you do the change, so you have a baseline idea of what happens to the water after the change. Add Prime after you test the tap water. I don't know where you live or where your water comes from but it could be something seasonal that happens to the source.

Upvote 0

GouramiGuy714

Ok good to know and I do add prime and I will start testing every few days but today there is some pieces of white stringy poop floating around the tank. Does this mean parasites? And the Cory is still alive in the HT (hospital tank)
image.jpgi found a piece of white poop on the filterhere is a pic

Upvote 0

bobduhgeek

It might and it might not. Here is a vet article that might be helpful
Stringy White Fish Poop
How is everything going? How are your water parms? What has stayed the same, what has changed?

Upvote 0

GouramiGuy714

It might and it might not. Here is a vet article that might be helpful
Stringy White Fish Poop
How is everything going? How are your water parms? What has stayed the same, what has changed?
I have double-dosed prime because I found it might be high chlorines and chloramines in my water. Water parms are good, and no one has died in the last 3 days. And thank you so much for the article, it really let me understand this a bit more. I’ll keep you updated

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
TacomaToker
Replies