Fish Keep Dying In Cycled Tanks

sross78

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have two cycled tanks, a 55 and 30 gallon. The past few days I have had several deaths in each tank and just can't figure out why. Both tank parameters are essentially identical.

Freshwater, 77 degrees, PH 7.6, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 ppm nitrate.

- 55 gallon has 4 angelfish, 4 rainbowfish (1 died last night), 2 roseline sharks (1 died the day before), 1 swordtail. 2 aquaclear 50 HOB filters and two small internal sponge filters.

- 30 gallon has 4 neon tetras, 2 dalmation platys, 2 red platys, 2 dwarf rainbowfish (1 died last night), 1 sowrdtail. 2 other small rainbowfish died several days ago. 1 Fluval U3 filter and 1 airstone.

I am at a loss, all the water tests tell me the tanks are just fine. Could it just be stress? I did notice one roseline shark really chasing the other the day before that one died so I chalked that one up to aggression but last night a bosemani rainbowfish died too and I know the last roseline wasn't chasing it.

sross78

Valued Member
Reaction score
i have been adding a 2-3 each week to each tank and had them "fully" stocked before everything starting going south with both tanks. All fish were purchased from LFS with great stock so I don't understand all the sudden deaths. Last water change on both tanks was sunday at roughly 50% each. Water parameters have remained steady from testing and all new stock seemed fine as they were added. I did introduce frozen bloodworms as food yesterday at the recommendation of the LFS b/c two of the recently added yellow rainbowfish were not eating the flakes/pellets after 3-4 days in the 55 gallon.

This is just so frustrating as I thought I had these two tanks stocked and healthy for years to come but alas find myself in this strange situation.

Ltreg11

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have been having the same issue... following. 55gal. understocked. Recently ordered a tank filter - thinking maybe the aqueon hang over the tank isn't cutting it. I do also have 2 bubble sticks.

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
large waterchanges could have killed your fish. compare your tap water chemistry to your tank's chemistry. I could be completely wrong. I think water changes can be dangerous if you don't pay attention to the pH, temperature, other various chemistry of the new water you add. I would suggest smaller water changes. a smaller water change would not cause such a big swing.

sross78

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have been having the same issue... following. 55gal. understocked. Recently ordered a tank filter - thinking maybe the aqueon hang over the tank isn't cutting it. I do also have 2 bubble sticks.
appreciate the reply but please don't divert this thread down another path. Please post other info about your tank in a different thread to solicit responses, thanks

large waterchanges could have killed your fish. compare your tap water chemistry to your tank's chemistry. I could be completely wrong.
I am going to immediately cut back to once a week 25% water changes in each tank but have been told otherwise in other threads that it makes no difference...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kasshan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
were all the parameters I mentioned in check? pH, temp, etc.
then you can safely ignore my thoughts. but large waterchanges, like 50%, have historical killed fish for me. take my advice with a grain of salt tho, I'm in the minority. if i was ever personally forced to do a waterchange, it would be small and frequent, like 10% a day. its better scientific procedure.

i feel big water changes (when done improperly) can stress fish. I hope its not a disease, but it doesn't sound like it.

Last edited:

Ltreg11

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
appreciate the reply but please don't divert this thread down another path. Please post other info about your tank in a different thread to solicit responses, thanks
Only suggesting it may be your filter - scross78 - did you mention what you use?

And I apologize, you did.. I'm new.. adios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I started my tank with only plants for 2 weeks and made sure I would get all the stock I wanted for the tank with no exceptions and no later additions to it and purchased a couple bags of Freshwater Bio Spira from Drs. Foster & Smith and added right (within seconds) after adding all my fish. I did not do any water changes for a whole week and since then the tank has remained cycled and no occupants have been lost. I have a 29 gallon with 8 Harlequin Rasboras, 8 Julii cories, 4 Pineapple Platies, and 7 Olive Nerite snails. It is filtered with 2 sponge filters rated for 30 gallon tanks and a Fluval C3 filter with carbon and Purigen in the mechanical filtration slot. This is just for information in case any of it will help. Thanks for listening.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom