Fish jump? What if ?

Daymocreeper

Reaction score
What if a semi big fish at say 1ft long jumps and hits the thin glass roof of a aquarium?? Wont that alone possibly break the tank. :/ my water level on my 4x2x2 aint far of the roof. As it had too pass the output pipe to water seal it.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The glass lid would move. I don’t think the impact would be enough to break it. I used to have a 14” Oscar that could bump the hood and move it on my old 90 gallon, but I was never worried about anything breaking if that makes sense.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I had a 20" Oscar that didnt like certain people and he'd knock the lid completely off the tank. One time when he was in a 90 gallon and about 10"-12" he did it and the glass lid went into the tank and cut him. I put plywood on the tank after that with 2 - 25lb plate weights, once on each side. I was in the middle of saving up for a 220, and when I got it I made a custom lid for it out of acrylic that attached to a wood frame so it couldnt fall back into the tank. He HATED my mother and once he threw about 5 gallons of water out of the tank in 3 seconds of thrashing about when she was near his tank. lol

But no, a 12" fish shouldnt be able to break the tank but jumping. Shouldnt being the operative word. lol

New Threads