Help Fish Itching

Namine

Reaction score
Hello, still having a problem in one of my tanks. 2 of the female platties are very very irritated by something, one scratches just once here and there but one female is scratching a lot to the point where she's removing her slimecoat and now has a few tiny patches that look like fuzz starting this morning. I seperated her and have her in quarantine with some seachem polyguard but I just don't know what the cause was. I don't physically see anything on them and they're active and eating well, water params good most of the time though their tanks been fighting a mini cycle last 2 weeks its getting daily changes testing and monitoring. The ammonia is the only thing off atm and it's being kept under .50. She's been doing this for months though even when levels were zero. The other fish in the tank aren't affected. The white fuzzy bits are very small rn and just popped up today I believed are just a secondary from her itching on the leaves all the time. What's a safe medicine i can use for them? Something that treats parasites and secondary stuff. I have the seachem polyguard but the fish seem easily stressed using it in the past and she had 2 rounds of it when i bought them in quarantine months ago but still itches. What do you use to treat internal or external parasites that you've sound safe? Also is there a parasite med for both youve used thats safe to treat new fish as a preventative? There's so many options out there. I was looking at paraguard but not sure if it would be effective enough. Tank is planted with snails as well. Thank you! I need opinions please!

OP
Namine

Namine

Reaction score
Yea, I posted a while ago but no one answered o.o and now she's worse. I have 2 20 gallons, both cycled filters media is 6 months old but one tank randomly started showing ammonia the last few weeks after changing the carbon pack so I figured I messed up the cycle. The tank has 2 filters rated for 20 gallons atm but I just picked up a large aquaclear 70 filter to increase the media i can add to it and help keep the cycle good solince my current 2 filters cant hold as much as id like, just a carbon pack and i crammed extra biomedia and some zeolite for now..Filtered tap water. Temp 78 ph around 6.8 normally ammonia and nitrate on that tank is 0 and nitrates 10 to 20 depending on how long since it was fertilized. Nitrates without ferts stayed under 5. While its going through the mini cycle I'm changing half the water every 2 days and testing every other day, if ammonia goes over .50 I try to change it asap, was using amguard but it seemed to make the cycle worse so I stopped. But the fishes itching has been going on for the whole 6 months I've had her even when the tank was cycled. Everyone else is acting normally except one other platty who will scratch on a leaf once in a great while. Everyone is eating. Itchy girls fins are more clamped lately though. A few months ago I saw a white spot on the non itchy platty but it went away a day later. I know the mini cycle isn't helping her out any but I'm trying to stop whater is making her scratch and clamp fins. Tanks vacuumed every other day, fish were eating twice a day when woth no ammonia raise for are restricted rn to jist a small feeding once a day trying to make ammonia an absolute minimum until the bacteria is back up. They get half a cube of frozen food once a day and its gone in a minute with no leftovers. Extremely lightly stocked tank, only has 4 2 inch fish in it and heavily planted. Fish were treated with polyguard for a week or 2 in quarantine when i got them several months ago. Platties came from petsmart which near always has ick but showed no signs after 2 weeks and the polyguard said it treated ick as well. No new fish. But it's definitely something. I didn't see anything on her scales until today where 2 Itty bitty fuzz spots showed up under a scale where kept rubbing on plants. Its the yellow platty on the right. Her orange friend will scratch once in a great while and none of the other fish do it. I can't figure why she's doing it. Bugs I can't see, doesn't like something in the tap water? I know ph fluctuations can do it too but its usually stable. Source water is 7 stratum keeps it at 6.8. For now i jist have ger in with some polyguard because she's caught something else from scratching so much but i just want to try to pinpoint why so I can get the treatment since it all needs different ones. Rather fix it now before I redo the whole tank and scape it if it has parasites. Poor fishes. And thank you! I think I'll jist get a few diff parasite meds for quarantine so I have them on hand if needed. Was planning on getting more fish but haven't wanted to add anything until this tank is stable so they've been enjoying all the room to themselves.

Attachments

OP
Namine

Namine

Reaction score
I saw something on her finally! On her right there there is a tiny little white thing sticking up. Is this an anchor worm or something? It's definitely not an ich dot and its like an ity bitty white tube shape. What will get rid of this?
20200601_114605.jpg

Attachments

New Threads