Fish Is Acting Strange

Guppee

Reaction score
I have an 8 year old Cory catfish that I recently moved to a new tank after spending years in the old one. It’s been about 3 days and I’ve been feeding the other fish regularly but the Cory comes out of its hiding spot very rarely. Then today it suddenly rocketed out of its hiding spot and swam around in circles before going limp and falling to the floor of the tank. It’s still breathing and moving but it’s acting strangely. None of the other fish in the tank are acting weird. What could be the cause?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
What is your water parameters?

Do you only have one Cory? If so, then you're going to need to get more. Preferably five or six more as Corydoras do best in a group. I suspect that one of your fish might have spooked the Cory.

Guppee

Reaction score
Crispii said:
What is your water parameters?

Do you only have one Cory? If so, then you're going to need to get more. Preferably five or six more as Corydoras do best in a group. I suspect that one of your fish might have spooked the Cory.
Yes I only have one, but it’s been on it’s own for years now and it has been fine. My tank is about 15 gallons and the fish that are in it are very small, besides the catfish.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Guppee said:
Yes I only have one, but it’s been on it’s own for years now and it has been fine. My tank is about 15 gallons and the fish that are in it are very small, besides the catfish.
Do you know what species? And just because it's doing fine by itself doesn't mean that it's thriving. Obviously, the fish is constantly hiding because it feels threatened and the fish will feel secured if it's in a group.

Also, can you post your water parameters?

johnbirg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
An 8 year old Cory. What is the lifespan of cories? I think that might answer your questions. Fish don't live forever. Sorry but that's a really long life and unfortunately it's nearing the end.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
johnbirg said:
An 8 year old Cory. What is the lifespan of cories? I think that might answer your questions. Fish don't live forever. Sorry but that's a really long life and unfortunately it's nearing the end.
Corydoras can live up to 10 years.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree we need to know the water parameters. In my opinion it sounds like a water quality issue but we'd need to know more information to know for sure!

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
I agree we need to know the water parameters. In my opinion it sounds like a water quality issue but we'd need to know more information to know for sure!
Another thing is tank mates. We must know what other inhabitants is living with your Cory.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AND what we're the Nitrate levels of the old tank? Moving any fish to an environment with significantly different water chemistry from the original environment will almost always have a negative effect on the fish.

johnbirg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Momgoose56 said:
AND what we're the Nitrate levels of the old tank? Moving any fish to an environment with significantly different water chemistry from the original environment will almost always have a negative effect on the fish.
Agree and especially an old fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom