Fish/inverts/aquatic creatures that you love/hate - Game Brought Back

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I saw a super old (okay, it was only 4 years) thread about this game and wanted to bring it back as it seemed like fun...

So basically: Someone says a fish name and you say whether you love or hate or are neutral about that fish, and then you explain why. You then pick a fish.

Rules:
No rude comments - Respect others likes/dislikes
Don't judge people's reasoning (Debates and discussions are allowed)
This is all based on your OWN opinion

This is meant to be all in good fun, so...

Example:
Me: Guppy
I love guppies because they...
White Cloud Mountain Minnows (this is put there for the next poster to talk about)

Someone else: I hate/love white clouds...
Common Pleco

Don't worry if it doesn't make sense now, it will soon.

I'll start:

Axolotls:
I love my axolotls because they are easy to care for, super cute and their smiles brighten my day :) :shame:
Betta

OP
SeaMonkey06

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CoryFan said:
I like bettas, but they are mis marketed.
bn Plecos
I'll go then.

Hate because I love them but have no tanks big enough to keep them in (my 40Gallon houses axolotls, so that's a big no no)

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SeaMonkey06 said:
I'll go then.

Hate because I love them but have no tanks big enough to keep them in (my 40Gallon houses axolotls, so that's a big no no)
“Hate because I love them” o_O
what’s the next fish?

ChlorellaShouldGoExtinct

Reaction score
BN plecos I love, because they look like sea cucumbers and have pretty peaceable personalities. (Although a few in the dolichopterus genus are carnivorous and may suck slime coat off fish. Thankfully not commonly sold.)

RummyNose tetras.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ChlorellaShouldGoExtinct said:
BN plecos I love, because they look like sea cucumbers and have pretty peaceable personalities. (Although a few in the dolichopterus genus are carnivorous and may suck slime coat off fish. Thankfully not commonly sold.)

RummyNose tetras.
I love rummynose tetras!
have been on hold for them, but then decided to go a different route with my tank, but they are on my wishlist!

fancy goldfish

OP
SeaMonkey06

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CoryFan said:
I love rummynose tetras!
have been on hold for them, but then decided to go a different route with my tank, but they are on my wishlist!

fancy goldfish
Love fancy goldfish because the cute little wiggle dance they do when they swim cracks me up :rolleyes: :hilarious:
Mystery snail

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SeaMonkey06 said:
Love fancy goldfish because the cute little wiggle dance they do when they swim cracks me up :rolleyes: :hilarious:
Mystery snail
Hate because they will sometimes eat plants, and everyone wants to put one or a couple in their tiny betta tank, but they have a higher bioload then the betta!
pearl gourami - my favorite fish

ChlorellaShouldGoExtinct

Reaction score
pearl gourami. Trichogaster leeri? Nice fish, gouramis are analogous to cichlids in my opinion, and T. leeri is a stunning member of its family. I love them. The dot patterning is very attractive.

red tailed black shark: epalzeorhynchus bicolor

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ChlorellaShouldGoExtinct said:
pearl gourami. Trichogaster leeri? Nice fish, gouramis are analogous to cichlids in my opinion, and T. leeri is a stunning member of its family. I love them. The dot patterning is very attractive.

red tailed black shark: epalzeorhynchus bicolor
Hate, Again people see shark and want to put them in their 5,10,20,29 gallon tank, and sometimes they can turn on other fish, but if you have the right tank for them then I say go for it.
rosy barbs (I have 4 neons and love them)

OP
SeaMonkey06

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CoryFan said:
Hate, Again people see shark and want to put them in their 5,10,20,29 gallon tank, and sometimes they can turn on other fish, but if you have the right tank for them then I say go for it.
rosy barbs (I have 4 neons and love them)
I've never kept rosy barbs but would like to. I love their colours, especially the neons :rolleyes:
They remind me of goldfish, especially the long-finned/veil tail variety.
Silver Arowana (yea, big step up!)

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SeaMonkey06 said:
I've never kept rosy barbs but would like to. I love their colours, especially the neons :rolleyes:
They remind me of goldfish, especially the long-finned/veil tail variety.
Silver Arowana (yea, big step up!)
Hate, silver arowana require so much more space than most people can provide. A lot of beginners see that as the coolest monster fish, so they buy a juvenile and keep it in a 40 gallon tank for its whole life. Sort of like goldfish, but with way more of a fad around them. Plus... They look nice as well-fed adults, but all the juvies I've seen in person for sale were sickly, skinny little things with torn fins :(

Platies!

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SM1199 said:
Hate, silver arowana require so much more space than most people can provide. A lot of beginners see that as the coolest monster fish, so they buy a juvenile and keep it in a 40 gallon tank for its whole life. Sort of like goldfish, but with way more of a fad around them. Plus... They look nice as well-fed adults, but all the juvies I've seen in person for sale were sickly, skinny little things with torn fins :(

Platies!
Love platies, they are just cool little fish.
mollies

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Love, any cichlid, from anywhere in the world! They're awesome in their behavior and coloring, not that other fish don't have interesting colors or behavior, but still, cichlids :D. I also like Kribs and Killis.

Exaggeration: ON, and based on the threads on this forum... :)
Hate #1, Bettas! One out of every three threads seems to be "What's wrong with my Betta?"! Yes, they have beautiful colors and long flowing fins, but they seem sooooo prone to problems :oops:.

Hate #2, Corys! Those 3 threads I mentioned with the Bettas, the second one of the three is (swooning) "Ohhhhh, I love my Cories. They're sooooo cute...". Ok, ok. I get it, but really, they're not that great :confused:.

Exaggeration OFF:
I don't actually hate any fish that's kept as a pet. They all have their (sometimes) unique qualities. Sometimes, they're just run-of-the-mill fish, but they're almost always interesting to watch and learn about, and are a great way of learning or teaching chemistry, biology, animal husbandry, etc., etc. :).

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mongo75 said:
Love, any cichlid, from anywhere in the world! They're awesome in their behavior and coloring, not that other fish don't have interesting colors or behavior, but still, cichlids :D. I also like Kribs and Killis.

Exaggeration: ON, and based on the threads on this forum... :)
Hate #1, Bettas! One out of every three threads seems to be "What's wrong with my Betta?"! Yes, they have beautiful colors and long flowing fins, but they seem sooooo prone to problems :oops:.

Hate #2, Corys! Those 3 threads I mentioned with the Bettas, the second one of the three is (swooning) "Ohhhhh, I love my Cories. They're sooooo cute...". Ok, ok. I get it, but really, they're not that great :confused:.

Exaggeration OFF:
I don't actually hate any fish that's kept as a pet. They all have their (sometimes) unique qualities. Sometimes, they're just run-of-the-mill fish, but they're almost always interesting to watch and learn about, and are a great way of learning or teaching chemistry, biology, animal husbandry, etc., etc. :).
How can you say that!!? Corries are the best! They are seriously like little puppies. And they are soooo cute!

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
CoryFan said:
How can you say that!!? Corries are the best! They are seriously like little puppies. And they are soooo cute!
Yesterday, our 4 month old puppy bolted out of the house when I went out to the garage. Took me 20 minutes and 10 houses down the street, in the pouring rain, to corral him and get him home!!!!! I was soaked! He was soaked! And you call that cute?:p:D

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mongo75 said:
Yesterday, our 4 month old puppy bolted out of the house when I went out to the garage. Took me 20 minutes and 10 houses down the street, in the pouring rain, to corral him and get him home!!!!! I was soaked! He was soaked! And you call that cute?:p:D
Yes, my Lola has ran in front of several busses and down the street a few times when we first got her, but eventually she settled down and started doing a lot better with not bolting as soon as the door opened.
here is my cute puppy.
B1B6B12A-77BA-4253-9378-FBA8A2E2B9B5.jpeg

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
CoryFan said:
Yes, my Lola has ran in front of several busses and down the street a few times when we first got her, but eventually she settled down and started doing a lot better with not bolting as soon as the door opened.
here is my cute puppy.
B1B6B12A-77BA-4253-9378-FBA8A2E2B9B5.jpeg
Hi Lola :)

I'm Odie! I'm a four month old mix. My mama was part Chihuahua and something else. My dad was half Miniature Mastiff and Dachshund. I like bolting to freedom anytime a door is opened, and especially when it's raining a downpour :). Grandpa says I'm about as cute as a Cory when I do that. I think he likes me :).

DSC_0093.JPGDSC_0097.JPG

OP
SeaMonkey06

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SM1199 said:

Platies!
I would have said LOVE. It's my dream to own an Arowana, but I get what you're saying. I was super surprised to see that my LFS keeps juvenile silver arowanas. Hope they're quizzing the people on their knowledge before letting them buy one, though. I think that they should do it with all fish. Simple questions like: Is your tank cycled? What size is it? Heater? Filter? Hides/no hides? (as some fish can't have caves and decor etc. due to the fact that they will injure themselves on them and some fish need caves and rocky hiding places :confused:)

I'll only ever own an Arowana if I have a body of water that's 1,000+. A lot of people don't understand that, at pet stores, the fish are babies. They grow. And then you get people like Paul Cuffaro keeping his Arowana with red tail catfish and other huge monster fish in a 160Gallon that makes people think it's okay :confused: They're awesome fish, but again, don't think they should be available to everyone. Not really a problem with the fish, more with the whole industry around them and people's stupidity.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SeaMonkey06 said:
I would have said LOVE. It's my dream to own an Arowana, but I get what you're saying. I was super surprised to see that my LFS keeps juvenile silver arowanas. Hope they're quizzing the people on their knowledge before letting them buy one, though. I think that they should do it with all fish. Simple questions like: Is your tank cycled? What size is it? Heater? Filter? Hides/no hides? (as some fish can't have caves and decor etc. due to the fact that they will injure themselves on them and some fish need caves and rocky hiding places :confused:)

I'll only ever own an Arowana if I have a body of water that's 1,000+. A lot of people don't understand that, at pet stores, the fish are babies. They grow. And then you get people like Paul Cuffaro keeping his Arowana with red tail catfish and other huge monster fish in a 160Gallon that makes people think it's okay :confused: They're awesome fish, but again, don't think they should be available to everyone. Not really a problem with the fish, more with the whole industry around them and people's stupidity.
Yeah, what people don’t understand is with a lot of youtubers the fish like Arowana and red tails do not stay in that 160 gallon tank(for example) they go into a large 15’ diameter pond. And everyone says Paul (for example) kept it in a 160 so I can too, not realizing it doesn’t stay there long.

New Threads