Fish injury from fall? Need serrious advice on other stuff too.

• Thread starter TheFishmonger
  • Start date

TheFishmonger

My Black Ruby Barbs have a major issue with turning on the lights. They go crazy darting all over the tank and just now what I feared the most happened. When I come home at night I turn on the light of my desk that sits right across from my tank and usually, they are irritated, but it is better than turning on the tank lights outright. All of a sudden as they were darting around I see a black ruby barb jump out with such force, it passed right next to my face, across the desk and landed hard on the wooden floor on the other side of the room. It fell from a height of about 6 feet. I immediately picked it up and put it back in without thinking of marking it in some way. The fish survived the fall and its back in the tank, but there is no way of me telling which one it was. They all seem kind of shaken but they are swimming around normally. I am worried about a body\head injury as that fall was hard and at a high speed. I am not sure if anyone has experience with anything like this. Fish "bones" are made out of flexible cartilage that can absorb such a shock, but it must have been a nasty slam.

I will see what I can do to close the top of the tank, with the filters I have loaded up it is very hard to find a proper tank lid. I will probably have to resort to chicken wire or of those terrarium lids. It is so frustrating every time I come home and open any light because the barbs act crazy. I am going to have to either close the tank from the top with wire or leave the lights open 24/7.

Also, the betta that I put in there three days ago has been losing color in his fins. He looks like someone sprinkled some chlorine on his skirt. Is this fin rot from stress? I have been medicating him with Seachem paraguard for a few days before I added him in the 20 gallons. No other is bothering him and he has not been nipped, but I noticed him losing color. I am planning on medicating the whole tank with Seachem paraguard because I see the False JuliI scratching themselves. Is the para guard safe for the Corydoras and my beneficial bacteria?

So to sum it up..

1) Will the Barb die a few days later from such a fall injury?
2) Is that fin rot in the betta? Will he recover his color if it is from stress?
3) Should I medicate the tank with Seachem Paraguard, or will it harm my Cories and ruin my Cycled tank?
4) Any ideas on how to close gaps on an open tank that has a ton of stuff like wires, lights, filters, etc?

Thanks.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Plexiglass, you cut it to size and cut fitted gaps for hoses & wires.
One of my prized Peacock Cichlids once did a swan dive out of the tank and dropped fout feet to a flagstone floor. He was a little disoriented, but shook it off & recovered. Chances are good that the Barb will recover. You got to him quick.
If your fish are regularly flashing, then medicate the tank.
Plenty of member Betta keepers on FL. Maby someone will chime in with helpful Betta info.

TheFishmonger

A201 said:
Plexiglass, you cut it to size and cut fitted gaps for hoses & wires.
One of my prized Peacock Cichlids once did a swan dive out of the tank and dropped fout feet to a flagstone floor. He was a little disoriented, but shook it off & recovered. Chances are good that the Barb will recover. You got to him quick.
If your fish are regularly flashing, then medicate the tank.
Plenty of member Betta keepers on FL. Maby someone will chime in with helpful Betta info.
Thank you for your advice and answers.

Top Bottom