Fish Injury/ Disease? Help?

1. Katt Smith

Katt Smith New Member Member

Hi, so I have a blue male crowntail betta and I've had him for almost a year now. He lives in a 5 gallon tank with 2 tiny sucker fish and they all get along fine.
    A few days ago, I noticed that he had some pink scratch-looking marks vertically down his sides and some of the points of his fins are shorter and turning pink in the middle. I started using Bettafix the other day but it seems to have gotten worse. Nothing I've read online matches his symptoms, as he is still swimming and eating like normal - the only abnormality behavior-wise I've noticed is his bubble nests are smaller.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is or how to fix it? Because I am completely at a loss and I'm very concerned about my fish.
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

3. Tiffany_e97

Tiffany_e97 Valued Member Member

When you say "tiny" sucker fish, what breed are you refering to? Often times sucker fish will latch onto fish and suck their slime coats off leaving sores all over the victims body. That could potentially be what we see here.

4. OP
    OP
    Katt Smith

There are three in the tank but they don't seem particularly sharp. He's been living with them for a while do you think the plants have started being an issue?

5. OP
    OP
    Katt Smith

That's interesting! I've never seen them do it. They're two little 1" guys with stripes down the side but I can't remember what they're called - not pleccos. Do you think that could be it?

6. OP
    OP
    Katt Smith

7. Tiffany_e97

Tiffany_e97 Valued Member Member

Would you be willing to send a picture of your sucker fish since you aren't sure exactly what species they are?

8. OP
    OP
    Katt Smith

IMG_5602.JPG
    Yeah absolutely. One of them is pretty hyper and the other is chill. They're about an inch or an inch and a half long and I've never seen them interact with the betta, but that doesn't mean it mightnt be happening when I'm not looking.

9. kayla.s

Looks like a pygmy cory?

10. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

That's otocinclus.

11. kayla.s

My bad, I just woke up:joyful: