Fish in the Kitchen...

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was just thinking our kitchen counter would be a perfect place for a small tank. But I know you aren't supposed to keep birds and some other pets in the kitchen because of the fumes from cooking on non-stick pans. Would fish be ok? I wouldn't be running an airstone, and if I did I could always put the pump in another room.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I believe it's ok, I don't really see what's wrong with it.

Kanadian

Reaction score
i've never heard of anyone ever having a problem with fish tanks in the kitchen at all and i was raised with like 30 fish tanks threw out my house my whole life.... we never had any problems....

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's good to hear...but now that I think about it I'm not sure my kitchen's the best place for fish since it's so busy in there.

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My 60L is on the kitchen bench and the fish are a-ok with it. But I would recommend lots of hiding places so the fish can escape the kitchen mayhem at dinner etc.

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Business wouldn't make much of an effect, as long as you don't get a bunch of very shy fish. Basically, nothing nocturnal, preferably diurnal or just active whenever so they won't be awoken or disturbed. Fish that make good dithers (swim alot, first to come out, not shy at all) would be a must if it's really busy.

Zebra Danios would be good, as would Corydoras and Guppies. Even a Betta or some other amiable fish that tends to "light up" when there's company.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
i have a friend with 10 gallon tank in kitchen, fish doing fine.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I know lots of people who have fish in the kitchen and they look very pretty and do well. Just make sure their far enough awy from the cooking area that they don't get a film on the water from cooking.
Carol

fish_r_friend

Well Known Member
Reaction score

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thanks for all the tips. I was thinking of either a male Betta & Cory tank or a female Betta tank. Of course first I would have to get some money and convince my parents I need another tank. ;D

Kanadian

Reaction score
Marc said:
Business wouldn't make much of an effect, as long as you don't get a bunch of very shy fish. Basically, nothing nocturnal, preferably diurnal or just active whenever so they won't be awoken or disturbed. Fish that make good dithers (swim alot, first to come out, not shy at all) would be a must if it's really busy.

Zebra Danios would be good, as would Corydoras and Guppies. Even a Betta or some other amiable fish that tends to "light up" when there's company.
good call Marc thats one thing i actually didnt think of....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom