Fish In Filter Housing

1. Robert Fletcher

Robert Fletcher Member Member

I have a 110 litre (30 USG) tank with an internal Juwel filter. All came as a package. The tank as just 4 danios as I am cycling it. They have been there for just over 3 days. The tank is testing as stable so more fish planned in a day or two. Now here’s the problem.
    This morning only 3 danios could be found. I found the other in the filter housing. He could not have got through the intake grill he is too big for that. Look at the photo there is a leaf against the grill it can’t get through. My only other thought is could he have jumped.
    On the ‘Net there have been others with fry getting in but my danio is bigger than that.
    The only thing I can think of is to put floss to the top of the filter housing. Personally I don’t like this filter but I have to live with it at least for the moment.
    Can anyone help? IMG_20170720_084338.jpg

2. elizano1

elizano1 Initiate Member

Hi I'm a novice fish keeper but my danio jumped too

Oh I have a fluval edge and I bluetacked a cut out piece of plastic over top to stop future jumpers. Maybe you could try that?

3. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, im with elizano 99fd776f9edbc5a6f56b6766d915f896.jpg i used a food container from the take away to cover a hole where my occelaris clown jumped out, i saved her this was a while ago.

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I saw the heading and thought "that person has Danios". And Danios always find a way into filters.
    He had 2 places to go - into the housing or to flip himself onto the floor. Zebra danios come from very fast water, and the temptation to run up a stream is always there for them. They love very powerful filter flows, which they mistake for swimming uphill. I have seen them swimming in and out of big HOB filters with absolute joy.

Give them a good current, and they put their noses into it and charge. Hey, the torpedo body with racing stripes...

You have to find creative ways to block the dangers, as you'll never change the behavior.

5. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

I used a plastic embroidery type mesh that I got from our local craft store and cut to size. It comes in a ton of colors and a sheet cost me about 68 cents. I covered the opening in the lid so that nerites would not escape. I like that it has holes so air can circulate.

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    Robert Fletcher

Robert Fletcher Member Member

I would like to thank everyone for your replies it has been a great help. When I woke this morning I did not think I was going to have a battle of minds with a fish and a small one at that too. I am going out now to get some mesh. After being told about the danio’s urge to swim upstream I had better put some over the outlet as I would hate any to get mangled in the impeller. Once again thanks.

7. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow @Punkin i love how it looks like its made for the hood that is going in my idea book !!!!