Fish-in Cycling

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have my ten gallon cycling and I'm stopping at Petsmart, so I might get a little betta I want to try to save one of them, but my ammonia was still around .75 - 1 ppm (kind of a mint green). If I dose Prime, could I consider a half fish in/half out cycle? Would that work?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That won't work very well. .75 is still high and more harmful to your fish than what ever petsmarts conditions are in. Hold off the on the betta from petsmart right until your ammonia reads 0

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Okay, I'll try to go in later. Any tricks to getting it down faster

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You’ll need to be doing daily water changes if you don’t have an established tank.

Do you think your doing the right thing by rescuing a fish at a Petsmart vs putting a fish into a tank that isn’t cycled? A lot of things can go wrong, especially if a tank isn’t set up.

If you can try to wait it out great but if your really need to do what you think is right I commend you for your efforts.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
How much water?

I understand. That's why I'm holding off getting shrimp until it is cycled. I just want to either get a betta out of those community tanks where their fins are getting nipped, or out of that stupid cup.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I just tested. My nitrite bottle is a dud but my ammonia is at 1.0 ppm. I'll get my nitrite tested when I go. If my tank is 10 gallons, how much prime?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom