Fish-in Cycling

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by emmysjj, Apr 13, 2018.

1. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

I have my ten gallon cycling and I'm stopping at Petsmart, so I might get a little betta :eek: I want to try to save one of them, but my ammonia was still around .75 - 1 ppm (kind of a mint green). If I dose Prime, could I consider a half fish in/half out cycle? Would that work?

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

That won't work very well. .75 is still high and more harmful to your fish than what ever petsmarts conditions are in. Hold off the on the betta from petsmart right until your ammonia reads 0

3. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

Okay, I'll try to go in later. Any tricks to getting it down faster :p

4. D

you can buy an aquarium starter which does speed up the process a bit.

5. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

I used Tetra SafeStart, is that what you mean?

6. D

that's the stuff

7. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

If I get her today, will it be safe if i dose Prime? I'll test my ammonia in a little bit.

8. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You’ll need to be doing daily water changes if you don’t have an established tank.

Do you think your doing the right thing by rescuing a fish at a Petsmart vs putting a fish into a tank that isn’t cycled? A lot of things can go wrong, especially if a tank isn’t set up.

If you can try to wait it out great but if your really need to do what you think is right I commend you for your efforts.

9. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

How much water?

I understand. That's why I'm holding off getting shrimp until it is cycled. I just want to either get a betta out of those community tanks where their fins are getting nipped, or out of that stupid cup. :)

10. OP
    OP
    emmysjj

I just tested. My nitrite bottle is a dud but my ammonia is at 1.0 ppm. I'll get my nitrite tested when I go. If my tank is 10 gallons, how much prime?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice