Fish in cycling

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by bubblefrog, Jul 12, 2015.

1. bubblefrog

bubblefrog New Member Member

I got the feeling my fishes were not quite as happy as they had been so I tested again and ammonia is spiking around 2ppm. Nitrite is still at 0 and nitrate is around 10-20ppm (I find this one really hard to read). Should I water change today or wait 24hr in the hopes that it's the spike before it falls? Also will I need to re dose with TSS after after change? Seachem isn't readily available in the UK, I've only seen it on Amazon.

TIA

Due to Rookie mistakes and bad lfs errors/ advice I'm fish-in cycling with a full stock (68l/ 18g, 2ft long tank). I posted here previously and got a lot of great advice.

I did a 50% water change over 2 days and then seeded the tank with TSS. I also bought an API master test kit. I tested the water 48hrs after adding the TSS and the results were:
    PH 7.6 (this is normal for our area and the same that the fish were in at the lfs)
    Ammonia 1ppm
    Nitrites 0ppm
    Nitrates between 5-10ppm (however a baseline test shows this is normal for our tap water anyway).
    A repeat test today (5 days post TSS) shows the same results.
    Temp is pretty constant at 25c/ 78f

I'm not over feeding (I feel like I'm under feeding them so I'm probably getting it right). I'm feeding flake with bloodworms as a treat every few days and will be getting some pellets as a treat for my corys next week.

The fish are all active with good colouring and are not showing any signs of ill health.

I just want to check that you think this is all ok and also whether you think my cycle is underway or should I add more TSS (I added a bottle and a bit as was correct for my tank size so I have 4/5 of a bottle left).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  2. Jsigmo

Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

The labeling on the TSS bottles can be confusing. In one place, they say that it will treat X gallons of water. Then in another place, they give a much lower figure for the size of tank it will "start"..

The lower figure is the value to use when cycling a new tank. The larger value is for some sort of (unnecessary in my opinion) "maintenance" dosing.

Hopefully you've used enough for starting a tank of your size.

I'd put the rest of the second bottle in. No need to save it, and it can't hurt.

But really, things are probably going just fine. It just takes a while. And that's why the general rule is to not do anything based on tests during the first two weeks after adding the TSS.

I think the kind of stress the testing creates in the owner during the first two weeks is why the usual advice is to not bother testing during that time. :)

Also, people get worried and do things that interfere with the cycle when they see readings that seem bad.

Don't do anything rash, is my advice.

Ignorance is bliss. :) But who can resist testing during any cycle?

Don't worry. Be happy. (As the Bobby McFerrin song says)!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Just to add, the exception to the don't test rule is if your fish are in distress. I've had to bail on a TSS cycle because my mystery snails couldn't take the high nitrites and were clearly not doing well. Otherwise, yes, probably best not to test so you don't panic, lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

Cheers! I'll add the rest of the TSS and step away from the test tubes for a while!.

5. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

I got the feeling my fishes were not quite as happy as they had been so I tested again and ammonia is spiking around 2ppm. Nitrite is still at 0 and nitrate is around 10-20ppm (I find this one really hard to read). Should I water change today or wait 24hr in the hopes that it's the spike before it falls? Also will I need to re dose with TSS after after change? Seachem isn't readily available in the UK, I've only seen it on Amazon.

TIA

6. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

Anyone? Really want to do what's right for the fish.

7. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

My advice is to find a similar product to prime. If you can actually get ahold of prime, that would be awesome.

I've cycled a 5g with just guppies and prime with no problems. I had to do 2-5 times the dosage, but it worked.

8. Akili

Akili Valued Member Member

Try Seachem Prime® Prime not only removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia.Prime also contains a binder which renders ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate non-toxic.

9. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

Ah ok. Yes I can get something like that. Thanks!

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Each dose of Prime supposedly only works on 1 ppm of ammonia and nitrite so you would have to put in multiple doses depending on what your readings are.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

11. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

Like I said, Seachem hard to get over here and costs like £20 a bottle on order. There are separate nitrite/nitrate and ammonia removers though so have bought the ammonia one. I don't mind doing a water change etc but don't want to affect the TSS doing its stuff if at all possible.

Thanks again for all your help though people :)

12. Akili

Akili Valued Member Member

Browsing around web sites from UK, looks like Prime cost twice as much than Canada and triple the price of US.Warehouse-aquatics.co.uk list it for £17.42 plus delivery for 500 ml

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  13. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What about Amquel or Amquel Plus? Is that more readily available and cheaper in the UK? That works just as good I have heard.

14. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

Thanks Dom90 that is more available on ebay and half the price do I'll get some on order!

15. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

Just re tested after treating with the ammonia remover and it's just below 0.5ppm. So that should beenough ammonia to not derail the cycle I'd have guessed but much better for my fishes! Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice