Fish In Cycling, When To Test Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pholop

Reaction score
I'm seeing in multiple posts that Prime will affect the Master API Test Kit's ammonia reading for about 24 hours. However I'm fish in cycling and doing daily water changes with Prime and Stability, so when should I really be doing my water testing? I always feel like my ammonia is a little green, but I'm not sure. It's been almost 2 weeks and it seems like I'm not making any progress, but I'm not even sure when I should be testing my water for the most accurate results. Should I be testing before I do a water change? Or right after?

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm seeing in multiple posts that Prime will affect the Master API Test Kit's ammonia reading for about 24 hours. However I'm fish in cycling and doing daily water changes with Prime and Stability, so when should I really be doing my water testing? I always feel like my ammonia is a little green, but I'm not sure. It's been almost 2 weeks and it seems like I'm not making any progress, but I'm not even sure when I should be testing my water for the most accurate results. Should I be testing before I do a water change? Or right after?
Dosing prime shouldn't have any effect on your ammonia readings. What prime does to some of your ammonia (NH3) is bind an extra hydrogen molucle to it for a while, forming the less toxic ammonium (NH4) for 24-48 hours. If you check the fine print on your ammonia test, it should state that it tests for both, so your readings shouldn't change.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
the test, tests for total ammonia, whether is ammonia or ammonium and even if its been made non toxic by Prime. just keep testing for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates everyday.

pholop

Reaction score
I see, thank you both fro the responses. So is there an ideal time to test my water or it does it just not matter?

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I see, thank you both fro the responses. So is there an ideal time to test my water or it does it just not matter?
I'd test before you do a water change so you can use that to decide how big change you should do. Try to keep your ammonia under 1ppm, because prime will struggle helping with much more than that. You can use it daily for the total volume of the water in the tank so it'll do it's ammonia to ammonium trick and keep your fish more comfortable. You don't have to wait until a water change to use it.

If your ammonia readings always seem the same, I'd suggest testing some bottled water along with your tank next time to act as a control to make sure you don't have a slightly wonky test. If they're both slightly green, you'll know your test is just a little off and can factor that in to how you read it.

pholop

Reaction score
I'd test before you do a water change so you can use that to decide how big change you should do. Try to keep your ammonia under 1ppm, because prime will struggle helping with much more than that. You can use it daily for the total volume of the water in the tank so it'll do it's ammonia to ammonium trick and keep your fish more comfortable. You don't have to wait until a water change to use it.

If your ammonia readings always seem the same, I'd suggest testing some bottled water along with your tank next time to act as a control to make sure you don't have a slightly wonky test. If they're both slightly green, you'll know your test is just a little off and can factor that in to how you read it.

Thanks for the response. My ammonia has been between 0.25 and 0, but I can't really tell how green the yellow is. So should I add my prime after I add tap water to my tank when doing water changes? I've been adding prime to the new water when doing changes

Just added a photo. Left is my tank water (I did a 35% water change right after and the right is my tap water.). My tap water seems to be less green than my tank water...but both are slightly greener than what the picture seems to portray.

Attachments

Last edited:

Briggs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the response. My ammonia has been between 0.25 and 0, but I can't really tell how green the yellow is. So should I add my prime after I add tap water to my tank when doing water changes? I've been adding prime to the new water when doing changes

Just added a photo. Left is my tank water (I did a 35% water change right after and the right is my tap water.). My tap water seems to be less green than my tank water...but both are slightly greener than what the picture seems to portray.
It's possible you have trace amounts of ammonia in your tap water, that's not uncommon. Some people alarmingly get 2 to 5 ppm, and have to take extra steps before water changes to get it out. If it's less than 1ppm, the prime will neutralize it long enough for your bio filter to handle it once it's grown in.

When you're using prime as a dechlorinator, you can either add the prime to the new water before adding it to the tank for the volume of the new water (two drops per gallon), or directly to the tank before adding the new water, in which case you'll need to dose for the full volume of the tank.

If you're using it to detoxify ammonia for a day while doing a fish-in cycle, you can dose for the full volume of the tank every day, regardless if you're doing a water change or not. For such a low reading, you can probably get away with a lower daily dose, say one drop per gallon instead of the normal two drops.

pholop

Reaction score
Okay, so it looks like I was doing my Nitrate test wrong. I just retested my Nitrates and it's around 20. My ammonia seems to be at 0, but it could be a a little more. Definitely under 0.25ppm. My Nitrite is definitely at 0 though. If I am correct and my tank is properly cycled, what are my next steps? Should I keep adding Prime daily just in case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 33 66.0%

Top Bottom