Fish In Cycling Using Seachem Stability

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Bubbles123, May 22, 2019.

1. Bubbles123

Bubbles123New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I am about to start cycling a 20lt aquarium in a few days, fish-in cycle with seachem stability. I m going to put a betta in it. I have never cycled an aquarium before using ammonia and tests, so i bought seachem stability which I thought I would just add in water and wait. Is there any advice on how to make it as safe as possible for the fish? I want to avoid causing fin rot due to spikes in chemistry.
    Plus could I keep him without a filter? There is substrate in the aquarium, could the beneficial bacteria survive there?

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,402
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I managed to get some what of a cycle with just 2 inches of pea gravel and a bubble strip. But then you have no mechanical filtration to catch the floating particles. But you have me confused. Fish in cycle using ammonia? Fish in the fish produces the ammonia. Fishless you need to add it.

3. OP
    OP
    Bubbles123

Ratings:
    +1
    No no, I was just mensioning I have no experience in fish less cycling using ammonia so I wouldn't try it for now. There is a filter with sponge inside the aquarium that I could use for mechanical filtration, only problem is I keep the aquarium in my room and I want to turn the filter off at night. So I was wandering if the substrate could act as surface for the benefial bacteria and the filter just for mechanical filtration.

4. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,402
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The substrate will hold some but you still need a flow for it to do anything.

5. OP
    OP
    Bubbles123

Ratings:
    +1
    So, if I turn the filter off at night it s going to kill the bacteria?

6. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,402
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The bacteria won't die over night. It takes close to a week and even then it goes dormant for awhile. It just won't be actively converting ammonia.

7. OP
    OP
    Bubbles123

Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm, I see. And something else I wanted to ask is, on instructions stability says you dose daily for 7 days, but in most forums I read people said cycling is going to take at least 6 weeks. Is going to take so much time?

8. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,402
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    For me a fish in cycle usually takes around a month but I have never used a bio booster. With stability it may take a week but can be as long as 2 months so its hard to put an exact time on it.

9. OP
    OP
    Bubbles123

Ratings:
    +1
    OK. So how about the water changes during this time? 30-50% once a week is alright, or I should change more/more often?

10. david1978

Ratings:
    +9,402
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You water testing will be your guide as far as how much water to change and how often.