Fish in cycling - still

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by bubblefrog, Jul 21, 2015.

1. bubblefrog

bubblefrog New Member Member

I'm just over 2 weeks into trying cycle a tank that is fully stocked (bloody lfs temp told us we were only 25% stocked! ) Thanks to great advice here I've seeded the tank with TSS and have kept ammonia spikes down using a remover while complying with the 2 wk wait for a water change recommended when using TSS.

So far we have ammonia (it had got up to 2ppm once but I'm keeping it around 0.5ppm as best I can) but no nitrites. We do have nitrates (10/20 ppm) but that's just our normal tap water levels. Now I know this means we aren't even halfway through a cycle yet but the tank really needs a substrate hoover and a good partial water change which I'm going to do tomorrow/ Thursday as it's been 2 weeks.

Question now is should I get more TSS or just deal with the long journey to get cycled?

I've got some AmQuel plus due to arrive tomorrow/ Thursday to help detoxify any spikes too as can't get Seachem prime without importing.

TIA

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I think that adding a product to remove ammonia has probably caused the SafeStart to fail. When using SafeStart it is very important not to add any thing that will remove ammonia to the tank.

3. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

What's your current stock? Based on your previous thread, we established that your initial stocking had some problems...

4. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

I've only added ammonia remover this weekend so the safe start did have a good run first and I under dosed so 0.5ppm was remaining. Would that still have affected it? I don't know what to do about the ammonia if I can't do water changes.

My stock is
    4 platies
    4 zebra danios (which the lfs won't take back and I can't rehome)
    4 tetra (was planning to have 6 overall)
    2 Peppered Cories (had planned to have 4/6 overall)

Tank is 68l (18g)
    Dimensions 24 x 12 x 15 inches.
    Filter is for a 100l.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Why can't you rehome them?

6. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

I don't know anyone else who has an aquarium. Also my husband is digging his heels in about them.

7. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

I tested again before cleaning and we have nitrites!! Only low but it's there! Ammonia is spiking but I'm doing a 50% water change.

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You can always do those ads on Craigslist... Free fish to a good home!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    bubblefrog

I'm in the UK but guess there is similar. I'll try sweet talking the hubby!

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I believe it's called Gumtree in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice