Fish in cycle

1. reds Member Member

I want to know if I could cycle a tank with Cory cats. I have some products that cycle a tank faster with fish. I have 2 Cory's that are currently in a 10 gallon by themselves and I plan on putting them in the 32 gallon that I am cycling anyway. If I could get some info on this I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

2. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Is your 10 cycled and will you be putting anything else in it when you move the cories? If the 10 is cycled and there won't be anything left in it, just move the filter media from the 10 into the filter for the 32. That will take care of most of the cycling for you (and yes, you would want to move the fish at the same time so the BB still have a food source).

3. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello red...

You need to do some more research before trying to cycle a tank with fish. Corydoras are definitely not on the list of hardy fish that will survive the cycling process. Liverbearing fish are good with the exception of Mollies. Rasboras, White cloud minnows, Barbs and Danios are good too.

Add some floating plants to the 32 like Hornwort and Anacharis to help steady the tank water. Move part of the filter media from the 10 to the 32 filter to help with the cycle. Introduce 3 to 4 small fish for every 10 gallons of tank water and have your test kit ready to start testing for traces of ammonia and nitrite. Test every day and if you have a positive test for these forms of nitrogen, remove 4 or 5 gallons of water and replace that with treated tap water. Feed just a little every couple of days to maintain a steady source of ammonia, but test the water daily. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. At this point, you change half the water weekly to maintain healthy water conditions.

Have fun!

Old

4. reds Member Member

Thanks old. I will see what fish my lfs has.

5. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

One reminder....whatever fish that you use to cycle with, make sure that is a fish that will be part of the final stock. Not a fish for cannon fodder.

6. reds Member Member

Thanks I plan on getting cherry barbs I heard they are harty fish and I like there colors. Quick question how many males to female should I get?