Fish In Cycle With Prime Stability???

Olla

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I was a idiot and didn't really care about doing research on the nitrogen cycle cause I thought it was too complicated, now that I understand things I realize i'm going through a fish-in cycle everyday I'm dosing prime water conditioner to keep the ammonia and nitrates away, but I heard that prime stability can take my tank through the nitrogen cycle much faster and I'm curious because today I might have a trip to pet smart. So can I use prime stability to help my tank cycle with my fish currently inside the tank? I have a 1 gallon tank if I have to transfer my betta fish temporarily

Oliver1209

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Everyone does dumb things in there life, including seriously smart people. You're not an idiot if you don't have any learning disabilities, you have the ability to learn new things. Use Prime, Prime will bind to all free ammonia.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size tank and what is the stock?

Prime is really all you need. It will lock up all the poisonous ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for 24-48 hours while your cycle deals with it and you can do a water change. Keep ammonia and nitrites as low as you can through water changes.

If its a single Betta in a tank larger than 2.5 gallons youll be fine. Their bioload is so small that even just doing water changes it would be fine. But Prim is a dechlorinator too, which anyone on city water needs.

Olla

Valued Member
Reaction score
DuaneV said:
What size tank and what is the stock?

Prime is really all you need. It will lock up all the poisonous ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for 24-48 hours while your cycle deals with it and you can do a water change. Keep ammonia and nitrites as low as you can through water changes.

If its a single Betta in a tank larger than 2.5 gallons youll be fine. Their bioload is so small that even just doing water changes it would be fine. But Prim is a dechlorinator too, which anyone on city water needs.
Shes currently in a 10 gallon tank. Also I'm not so good with aquatic terminology; what does 'stock' mean? I kinda want to cycle it asap as I want a few cardival tetras or some schooling fish.

Skavatar said:
Yes you can use it. Stability is bacteria in a bottle, like Tetra SafeStart and many others. it should help establish a beneficial bacteria colony faster.
Does it instantly work? Is It harmless if theirs already a fish inside? Can I add more fish after a few minutes? (sorry for the questions)

RobinIsACattto

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Olla said:
Shes currently in a 10 gallon tank. Also I'm not so good with aquatic terminology; what does 'stock' mean? I kinda want to cycle it asap as I want a few cardival tetras or some schooling fish.
Stock=fish, inverts, and sometimes plants that inhabit the tank

Another note: there is no way to cycle a tank instantly. You'll have to wait at minimum a month if you're cycling from scratch. I'll at @mattgirl in here as she's a pro at helping with fish-in cycling, I know she'll be able to explain it all better than me lol

Olla

Valued Member
Reaction score
oh
RobinIsACattto said:
Stock=fish, inverts, and sometimes plants that inhabit the tank

Another note: there is no way to cycle a tank instantly. You'll have to wait at minimum a month if you're cycling from scratch. I'll at @mattgirl in here as she's a pro at helping with fish-in cycling, I know she'll be able to explain it all better than me lol
Currently theirs one fish. But thanks for the advice

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do not dose everyday with prime(unless you're doing daily water changes). It DOES not actually do much with ammonia. Your best bet. Is do a 30% water change ever 4 days. And two days after every water change dose with stability.
You can't "instantly" cycle a tank, but you can speed up the process. Whoever says you have to wait a month no matter what you do is 100% incorrect.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just to clarify. Prime is a water conditioner. There are many water conditioner on the market. I always recommend Prime when doing a fish in cycle because of its ability of neutralizing the damaging affects of ammonia. Water changes are the best way to protect your fish. Prime just helps keep the small amount of ammonia left after a water change from hurting your fish.

Stability is a bacteria in a bottle. I have never used this product but lots of folks have with mixed results. It will not instantly cycle your tank. It is supposed to help speed up the cycling process. I can't say whether it will or won't.

With a fishes life at stake the cycle isn't the main concern. The safety of the fish is. If you will continue doing water changes to keep the ammonia level down as close to zero as possible the tank will cycle in time. I would be doing no less than 50% water changes each time. It may take more but I wouldn't do less.

Prime doesn't keep the ammonia and nitrates away. Prime changes the ammonia into ammonium. Ammonium is still food for your bacteria but not as good as ammonia so might slow your cycling process down a tiny bit.

I know we live in a world where we want everything to be instant but the cycling process isn't instant. It is going to take time to do it right.

All this to say. Go ahead and get the Stability if you want to but it isn't necessary. It might speed up the cycle and it may not. Keep up with the water changes to keep the ammonia down and give the cycle time to grow. In the end you will have a healthy home for your fish.

Should you decide to get and use Stability you don't have to remove your fish while using it. In fact you need an ammonia source and your fish is it.

Kolby Holdren

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
mattgirl said:
Just to clarify. Prime is a water conditioner. There are many water conditioner on the market. I always recommend Prime when doing a fish in cycle because of its ability of neutralizing the damaging affects of ammonia. Water changes are the best way to protect your fish. Prime just helps keep the small amount of ammonia left after a water change from hurting your fish.

Stability is a bacteria in a bottle. I have never used this product but lots of folks have with mixed results. It will not instantly cycle your tank. It is supposed to help speed up the cycling process. I can't say whether it will or won't.

With a fishes life at stake the cycle isn't the main concern. The safety of the fish is. If you will continue doing water changes to keep the ammonia level down as close to zero as possible the tank will cycle in time. I would be doing no less than 50% water changes each time. It may take more but I wouldn't do less.

Prime doesn't keep the ammonia and nitrates away. Prime changes the ammonia into ammonium. Ammonium is still food for your bacteria but not as good as ammonia so might slow your cycling process down a tiny bit.

I know we live in a world where we want everything to be instant but the cycling process isn't instant. It is going to take time to do it right.

All this to say. Go ahead and get the Stability if you want to but it isn't necessary. It might speed up the cycle and it may not. Keep up with the water changes to keep the ammonia down and give the cycle time to grow. In the end you will have a healthy home for your fish.

Should you decide to get and use Stability you don't have to remove your fish while using it. In fact you need an ammonia source and your fish is it.
Good explanation.
I will vouch for stability forever though. 31 tanks, I breed fish and have lots of experience. Stability works if used properly. But extremely accurate that nothing instantly cycles a tank

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Olla said:
Does it instantly work? Is It harmless if theirs already a fish inside? Can I add more fish after a few minutes? (sorry for the questions)
I have used stability and Safestart. Safestart worked better for me. Plus PetSmart price matches so be sure to show them the online price. It is like 10 dollars online and 25 on the shelf.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kolby Holdren said:
Good explanation.
I will vouch for stability forever though. 31 tanks, I breed fish and have lots of experience. Stability works if used properly. But extremely accurate that nothing instantly cycles a tank
I agree. Both Stability and tetra safe start have been proven to work but it has to be used properly. So often I see where it hasn't been and it fails. It is for that reason I don't normally recommend one use it unless they are willing to follow the directions to a tee.

H2oAngels

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Olla said:
I am going through a similar a very similar situation. I was told that QuickStart instantaneously put my tank where it should be. (My fault for listening to a 16 yr old Petsmart employee). My tank is a 20 gallon high. I have 3 angels and one flying fox in there. Two days into the tank I found information of the nitrogen cycle online. Glad it didn’t take any longer because my ammonia was indeed rising. I’m now on day 7. I’ve given up on cycle speed. As mentioned above the only thing that really matters to me is the safety of my fish. I test my water 2-4 times a day (depending on work). The first couple days I had to do 3 water changes a day (25 percent of my 20 gal). I’ve knocked that down to 1-2 a day which had been keeping my ammonia levels down between .25 ppm and .35. All I’m doing is dosing prime and doing water changes. My fish appear very happy and healthy. I’ve learned this all about what you put into it.

Olla

Valued Member
Reaction score
mattgirl said:

Thanks so much for clearing everything up in such depth. I’ll try my best to follow your recommendations.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I’m pretty new to fishlore but I have quickly realized how kind and accurate this community is.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Olla said:
Thanks so much for clearing everything up in such depth. I’ll try my best to follow your recommendations.
You are so very welcome. If you have more questions Please just ask.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
most of the big chain pet store employees are given very little pet training. some are seasonal or part time employees just making a few bucks, etc. many do not own fish or other pets.

but there are a few that are avid fish keepers and are very knowledgable and take great care of the fish and tanks at the stores.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom