Fish-in Cycle With Prime And Stability - Fin Down :(

lax2luv

Reaction score
My daughter got a betta fish on 6/7, so I am playing "catch up" learning about the nitrogen cycle and how to care for her new fish. We put him in a 5.5 gallon tank with a filter and heater. The filter we are using is an Aqueon QuietFlow X-Small - I think it is a carbon filter. Is there a better filter for him? The one that came with the tank seemed too powerful, even on the lowest setting (it was a Top Fin 10 gallon filter), but this Aqueon one doesn't seem to bother him as much - he seems to be getting "braver" and has swam past it a few times. I'm not sure when I change the filter cartridge on it, though. His water looks like it may be starting to cloud up - perhaps from the less powerful filter (?)... which leads me to, should I do a water change? We are, unfortunately, doing a fish-in cycle with Prime every other day and Stability daily. I am a little confused on if I should change the water just yet and, if I do change the water, how much I should change. I just ordered the API test kit, but I have the SeaChem ammonia and pH alerts inside his tank (ammonia is "safe" and pH is 7.4). We added a catappa leaf the other day. The fish seems to be doing okay, although he's keeping his top fin down - I'm guessing due to the cycling/stress of a new tank? The fin looked nice and "full" when we first got him, but I haven't seen it look "full" since. I've added photos of this as it is concerning me. He otherwise seems good, is eating when fed (I also just ordered some higher quality food for him) and he usually swims to us when we approach the tank. He has been hiding some in his silk plants and he has a floating log, but has not gone in it. Any advice/help on what else I need to specifically do to help him is appreciated! This is all pretty confusing! Thank you!

Attachments

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Prime lasts up to 48 hrs. I recommend 50% water changes every 2 day (48hrs).

the smallest Aqueon QuiteFlow on their site is the 10. it includes sponge (mechanical), carbon (chemical) and a "biogrid" (biological). i'd keep the sponge, take out the carbon and biogrid, and add some biomax ceramic beads.
https://www.aqueon.com/products/filtration-media/quietflow-internal-power-filters

the size 30 should be small enough to fit in your Aqueon 10 filter. if not cut a small hole in the mesh bag and remove a few ceramic beads.
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters-and-pumps/filter-media/aqua-clear-bio-max-filter-insert-16995.html

more info on upgrading filter media
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/diy-media-guide-for-top-fin-silenstream-aquaclear-and-other-hob-filters.385506/

this is what i did with my Tetra internal filters.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi & welcome to the forum, firstly to the filter, activated carbon filters are only good for removing things like medications / toxins from the water & are not good for building beneficial bacteria colonies to cycle the tank, you need a filter media that the BB can inhabit, something like ceramic rings or plastic spirals with lots of surface space they can attach to, the carbon cartridge will only remove things from the water it will not cycle your tank. I'm not a big fan of cartridge filters, if I were to use an internal it would be something like an Eheim Aquaball internal which has different compartments in which you can put different types of filter media, I've used them in the past & found them to be excellent. Secondly you'll do OK with the Prime & Stability to keep the fish safe until the tank is cycled, @Skavatar's advice above is right on the button but with just 1 betta in the tank watch how much & how often you feed, over feeding will mess your water up more than the fish will. Don't forget when you clean your filter only rinse it with tank water, never under a tap that will kill all the BB & you'll be back to square one & you need to clean it when you see the water flow drop by observation. When you get your API kit test for Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate when you have zero (or close to) ammonia & nitrite & a nitrate reading (anything below 20) your tank will be cycled & you then keep the nitrate levels down by doing water changes as necessary. Good luck & let us know how you get on, we're always here to help.

Top Bottom