Fish in cycle with Fantail goldie

Donskoi

Hello,

I have inherited a fantail goldfish a few months ago from someone who was no longer able to look after it and I am having trouble cycling the tank.

I brought a new 200L tank as it was in a small uncycled one when I got it, and I have a Fluval u4 and a Fluval u2 filter with two airstones. I am having to do a fish in tank cycle as I only have the one tank and have no space for another and I don't know anyone who can give me filter media. Water temp is generally between 21 & 22 degrees.

I am doing daily 25% water changes with tap water and prime and taking readings using a master test kit every 2 days. The latest reading is 7.4 PH, 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 40ppm nitrate which indicates a crash again.

What can I do to get this tank cycled, have a happy fish and get some time back in the evening?

carsonsgjs

Sounds like you are doing everything right so far to me. I wouldn’t have necessarily said that your water parameters indicate a cycle crash though. You can get a false positive for ammonia on the api test kit (assume that’s what you are using) - I’ve never experienced it but others seem to have.

Have you tested your tap water parameters? How long have you had the tank set up?

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

With those nitrate readings I would increase WC amount to 50%. Goldfish thrive on water changes.

Upvote 0

Donskoi

With those nitrate readings I would increase WC amount to 50%. Goldfish thrive on water changes.
thanks will do, any ideas for getting the cycle finished? Its been about 3 months going between 50% and 25% changes.
Sounds like you are doing everything right so far to me. I wouldn’t have necessarily said that your water parameters indicate a cycle crash though. You can get a false positive for ammonia on the api test kit (assume that’s what you are using) - I’ve never experienced it but others seem to have.

Have you tested your tap water parameters? How long have you had the tank set up?
Thanks!!
The tank has been set up for about 3-4 months now but has had fish in from the beginning.
I tested them when I first got the tank but can't find the original notes, will test the tap water later and will post it.
Yes, API kit is what I'm using. I thought you have to have 0 for both Ammonia and Nitrite for a proper cycle, have been told before that the presence of one without the other shows a crash.

Thanks!!
The tank has been set up for about 3-4 months now but has had fish in from the beginning.
I tested them when I first got the tank but can't find the original notes, will test the tap water later and will post it.
Yes, API kit is what I'm using. I thought you have to have 0 for both Ammonia and Nitrite for a proper cycle, have been told before that the presence of one without the other shows a crash.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

A crash would most times be a sudden nitrite spike. The 25 ammonia is not bad. I agree with the bigger water changes to get the nitrates down.

Upvote 0

OutsideFoodBlob

Your tank is cycled. Not going to lie I used to freak out if the goldfish had 0.25ppm ammonia when I tested before water change. I don’t anymore because I’m checking water parameters then doing 50% water change.
If I’m reading this right you have the one single fish in the 200l?
Don’t panic and rush to get more filtration, etc. Just do one deep water change to get the nitrates lower as others mentioned. And then just use test kit to “check in” on what’s going on. If you are doing weekly water changes already keep it up.
You can upgrade one of your air stones to a sponge filter. But that’s about it for now.
As others mentioned goldfish do thrive with regular deep water changes. Find what works best for you, your schedule and the fish.

if can describe how you do your water changes so we can maybe give some tips to stream line that.
Just want clarity: you want a 0ppm reading on your ammonia. Right now the best way to achieve that is with water changes.

I got my start with goldfish with a rescue myself. And I have fussed over this fish to no end and will continue to do so.

Let’s figure out a maintenance schedule that works best for both you and your fish.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I agree with everyone. Your tank is cycled. As long as the ammonia never goes above the tiny amount you are seeing then you can consider it zero. Are you shaking all the bottles before each use? The instructions tell us to shake bottle #2 for the nitrate test. I think we get more accurate readings if we shake all the bottle before each use.

If you've been using your test kit for a while now without shaking all the bottles you may continue seeing .25 ammonia readings. Should you get a new kit and shake the bottles before using I suspect you will see a true zero.

Since you are running airstones in this tank I will recommend you replace them with sponge filters. Your 2 internal filters may be enough filtration but If I understand how they work the only media in them is a replaceable cartridge thus not much room to hold a great deal of bacteria. They may not be providing enough filtration for this size tank. All of the water needs to be pulled through the filters several times over. If it isn't the ammonia isn't being pulled through and the low ammonia reading tends to linger in the water. Replacing the airstone with sponge filters should help.

Personally I would replace the internal filters with a much more powerful HOB (hang on back) filter. One with room for enough media to handle the bio-load of a goldfish but do realize that isn't possible for everyone. Unfortunately most filters are highly over rated. For a 200L (52/53 gallon) tank you need one rated for at least a 75 or 100 gallon tank.

Upvote 0

OutsideFoodBlob

I agree with everyone. Your tank is cycled. As long as the ammonia never goes above the tiny amount you are seeing then you can consider it zero. Are you shaking all the bottles before each use? The instructions tell us to shake bottle #2 for the nitrate test. I think we get more accurate readings if we shake all the bottle before each use.

If you've been using your test kit for a while now without shaking all the bottles you may continue seeing .25 ammonia readings. Should you get a new kit and shake the bottles before using I suspect you will see a true zero.

Since you are running airstones in this tank I will recommend you replace them with sponge filters. Your 2 internal filters may be enough filtration but If I understand how they work the only media in them is a replaceable cartridge thus not much room to hold a great deal of bacteria. They may not be providing enough filtration for this size tank. All of the water needs to be pulled through the filters several times over. If it isn't the ammonia isn't being pulled through and the low ammonia reading tends to linger in the water. Replacing the airstone with sponge filters should help.

Personally I would replace the internal filters with a much more powerful HOB (hang on back) filter. One with room for enough media to handle the bio-load of a goldfish but do realize that isn't possible for everyone. Unfortunately most filters are highly over rated. For a 200L (52/53 gallon) tank you need one rated for at least a 75 or 100 gallon tank.
Mattgirl pretty much said everything that I thought I’d come back and add as further suggestions.
That said, keep using your two fluval U’s. People oftentimes switch out filters and crash their cycled tanks in the process. I’d strongly suggest just adding a sponge filter to your existing air stones or even just one of them to start.
There are pros and cons to HOB filters. I only use in tank filters of some sort because I can not afford the risk of water damage if a HOB or canister malfunctions. But really don’t stress about upgrading any of that right now.

Anyhoo just also wanted to give you kudos for providing a new home for your fish friend. They do provide countless hours of enjoyment! It’s not all water changes I swear. Lol.

Upvote 0

jtjgg

its cycled.

sometimes the APT test shows .25 ammonia, but with your low-ish pH, its the less toxic ammonium. start doing 50% weekly water changes, keep the nitrate below 20ppm. in my experience long term nitrate poisoning leads to sbd and other illnesses in goldfish.

I used to use a U3 as my first filter. each week during your weekly water change, gently rinse out the two foam pads on the sides (i got rid of the carbon pads) and rinse the ceramic beads in the middle.

http://www.aztic.org/wp-content/upl...re-on-Ammonia-pH-Water-Temperature-v-2017.pdf

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Endlessskills
  • Question
Replies
Views
BettaLove2021
  • Question
Replies
Views