Fish in cycle with Betta

1. ashleighh28

ashleighh28 Well Known Member Member

How many of you guys successful have cycled there tank whilst stocking one Betta?
    I'm using prime everyday even not on water changes in also using stability.

Also how many of your Betta owners have successfully homed shrimp without bettas eatting them?[​IMG]

2. Calum98

Calum98 Valued Member Member

I've had a Beta in while cycling and she's doing fine just now, probably.best waiting for someone with more experience though, and shrimp wise, I've had one ghost shrimp since the start and he's still alive and had another one for about two weeks, added him at the same time as 4 cherry shrimp, but the angel fish absolutely destroyed one of the Cherries and then the Betta got in a fight over the Dead Cherries body with the angel, so I'm pretty sure Ghost shrimp are fine but probably avoid Cherries as everything seemed to want to eat them

3. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank we talking about?

4. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

23l

Yeah it's my second time restarting my tank previously lost 5 platy and a sword tail.
    Since I restarted my tank I've been stocking the one Betta but my tank still doesn't feel complete I hope once I get shrimp Bruce won't eat them!
    I wouldn't say I have much experience but I've been getting a lot of help on here .

5. Calum98

Yeah the people on here are really helpful :') but I'm sure Ghost shrimp should go well with your Betta they sorta do their own thing

6. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

How long have you kept fish for? And what fish have you got? Yeah the people are really helpful and kind on here.

7. Calum98

I've had a 54 litre for around a month and a half and a 180litre for around 2 weeks, I'm still a beginner but thought I'd be able to give advice since I have Bettas and shrimp. And I have a community tank just now, guppies, bettas, swordtails, plectco, gourami, albino Cory, minnows, two ghost shrimp and a butterfly fish. I'm not sure whether or not I have any cherry shrimp left as a couple swan into the filter housing and haven't seen them, so potentially two cherry shrimp aswell, dunno about it though

8. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

I'm so jealous of your tanks! I already have the urge to buy another one . I miss all my platys and my swordtail my tank was amazing to watch, but Bruce is still pretty entertaining on his own, definitely going to add ghost shrimp once my tank has finished cycling. I would love guppies they're beautiful too! Hope you find your cherry shrimp. Do you have live plants ? Let's see a pic of your tanks

9. Calum98

I just added in 10 more Straight Valis before replying to this so all my sands stirred up but here's a picture:')
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The shrimp stick together
    [​IMG]
    And one of my bettas she's a Cambodian veil tail
    [​IMG]
    Also for live plants I have 10 Amazon FrogBits, 10 Straight valis, 1 Java fwrn , one Java mossand quite a few of this other type of plant I can't remember the name of, it was in with the Java fern at pet shop

10. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

She's beautiful love your set up! Do you find it easy to maintain the plants? Because I'm thinking about stocking some water Sprite? Think that's the name. But obviously mines only 23l and it's a fluval with normal lighting. Haven't read up a lot about the plants yet just an idea ATM.

11. Calum98

And the other tank is set up for pregnant guppies it'll be a nursery once they give birth so it's bare bottom but here it is
    [​IMG]

12. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

Awesome!! I do like the minimalistic look.. How comes you haven't fully filled the tank??

13. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

My tank was cycled with a Betta! I used prime and stability to cycle it and can give you my routine for cycling it if you like.

14. Calum98

It's only half filled as I didn't have time to cycle it, so just leaving a little amount of water in so its easier to do replace 90% of water everyday.

Thank you very much I've done literally no maintenance to my plants :') just had to replant them a few times after rushed water changes, but I'm not sure some plants will be fine with just the LED light but most may require a Sun Light,

15. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

Ok that would be great if you could send over the routine. I'm having to do water changes every over day at the moment so I think I'm right in the middle of the cycle. So what plants are you stocking?

16. Calum98

17. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

"My routine for cycling with stability and prime is so,

Test every 24 hours or so. Do a water change (with prime of course) whenever over 1ppm of ammonia or nitrite. I try to keep the ammonia and nitrite at about 1ppm so the bacteria can eat it. If it's at 1 or below I just dose prime straight into the tank that day.

With stability, you can do one dose a day, until cycled. Simple as that. If you have to do a water change that day then dose stability AFTER the change so that all the dosage stays in the tank.

If you like, you can overdose prime. It says it's safe up to 5x the normal dosage. You can also overdose stability, as there is zero harm from it (technically you could pour the whole bottle in, although I don't recommend that, just saying, you can't harm your fish with stability.) I have done this to success before. My nitrite was 2ppm. I did a triple dose of prime and a double or triple dose of stability. Next day the nitrite was .25ppm

I think this routine works VERY well. I hope I explained it well enough. Good luck! ️"

This is what I do.

18. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

Thanks I've Been doing water changes when at.25ppm my Betta seems like his breathing kind of rapid today. I didn't water change yesterday but have done one today after my nitrite was 0.50ppm and ammonia was 0.25ppm

I've been testing every day yesterday I dosed with prime.. as the ppm were low, but Bruce doesn't seem as happy as normal what do you suggest I've done a 50% water change now.

19. Calum98

How strong is the current in the tank, I got a new Betta yesterday and he was doing the same but turned the output of filter to face the back of tank and hes out swimming around happily now. Might just be stressed out from the water change or just tired from swimming in a tough current.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. OP
    OP
    ashleighh28

https://vimeo.com/173039225

The filter was on low so I've turnt it up as he looks like his gasping for air, I found him laying on top of the water gauge. His swimming at the bottom of the tank but taking really long breaks.