Fish-In Cycle, Some ammonia, maybe nitrite, some nitrate.

BigDuke6

Hi All - I wanted to quickly ask for a bit of advice regarding a fish-in cycle of a 200L (50G - sorry about metric!) tank. It was a kid's Christmas present and we mistakenly followed the LFS and believed the API Quick Start was the way to go for an instant cycle.

Since then, we've taken some media from another good tank and the cycle looks to be taking shape, but I'm still not quite sure. The tank is 200L, with quite a few live plans, aqua soil, driftwood, and some rocks. There are 4x Danios and a couple of African Cichlids from an older tank (we should have used the media and substrate, but we just weren't thinking!). The plans are growing roots and have new growth, there have been signs of algae growing on the wood and rocks while the water remains totally clear.

The tank is an Aquaclear with the filter media changed, replacing the cartridges with noodles and some coarse + file filter pads and an intake sponge.

- Ammonia is hovering between 0.25 and about 0.75, Prime is dosed daily with a 40-50% water change every other day.
- We did see Nitrites very very briefly, but they disappeared.
- Nitrates are between 5-10ppm

Even after 2x 50% water changes ammonia is still at 0.25. Could the presence of Nitrates be a good sign or be coming from the aqua soil? Should I just keep doing what we're doing - water changes and prime? We're 3-weeks in so far.

Thanks for reading!

carsonsgjs

The established media should help things along. Getting a false reading of 0.25 for ammonia can happen but the ammonia could also be coming from the aquasoil you have used too.

I’d keep doing what you are doing - daily monitoring and water changes with prime when necessary. Have you checked your tap water parameters too? Always worth knowing those when cycling and carrying out water changes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
garlicrbrian
55 Gallon Tank Not Cycling?
Replies
Views
SaltyPhone
Replies