Fish in corner

1. babysitting Initiate Member

I am babysitting fish over the winter that normally live outside. They seemed happy at first but now are staying in the corner bottom of the tank and only move when I feed them. Are they depressed or is something wrong?

Thanks

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Is there a bully in the tank? How big is the tank, and what are the fish in that tank? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? Let us know these things so we can help! ;)

P.S. Welcome to FishLore! ;D

3. babysitting Initiate Member

10 gallons 5 fish... they are all gold color-I don't know variety or chemical levels in tank. They do get very excited when I feed them splashing water almost seems like a shark freenzy

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!!
    Goldfish? How big are the fish?
    Carol

5. babysitting Initiate Member

They are about 2 and 1/2 to 3 inches long. There don't seem to be any bullies, they are all in a row, either at the end of the tank or in the corner. I really don't want anything to happen to them, as we are watching them for my folks and I have a 2 yr old and 3 yr old who would be very upset. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6. babysitting Initiate Member

opps yes they are Gold fish

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I think one of the problems may be that your tank is overstocked. Please post the ammonia and nitrite readings if you have the test kits. If you don't, please get them. I recommend the aquarium pharmaceuticals master test kit which contains all the tests you need for keeping a healthy tank. Goldfish are big waste producers, and the general consensus is 1 goldfish per every 10 gallons, so your water parameters might be out of whack with the high bio load.

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

If you don't have a test kit if you can please get one .This will help you take really good care of your fish.
    Then you need to do at least a 50% water change. Is this their normal tank? or is it one just for while your fish sitting?
    Carol

9. babysitting Initiate Member

I don't have the test for the water but I'll get it. This is a new tank for them, they are usually outside in a fountain-which would freeze over the winter. When I go them the water they were in was quite green but has since cleared a bit. I've had them for a week now, so I'll clean out the tank and work on some fresh water for them to see if that would help. I really appreciate the feed back. I didn't realize I was going to be so worried about these fish..but the kids love them.

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes the kids will love them!!! If they continue to stay in the little tank you are going to be doing about 50% water changes about every 3rd day I'm afraid. Goldfish are eal waste producers. Gotta love them!! ;)
    Carol

11. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

This is the master test kit I'm talking about. It has everything you will need to keep track of water quality for your fish. They are usually cheaper online, but sometimes you can get them on sale at your local fish store. They normally run about $30.00 unless you order one online.