Fish In A 10 Gallon 10 Gallon Tank

1. fish.for.life Initiate Member

I was wondering if I can have 4 neon tetras ,1 male guppy and 2 platy in a 10 gallon ?

2. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

No, though you could do,
    3 Platies
    or
    5 Guppies
    or
    10 CPDs/Galaxy Rasboras
    3 Guppies

3. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

The neon tetras like to be in a group 6+. What else do you got in mind?

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

That would be fine, but change it 6 neons or 3 Guppies or Platies. Either 1 male 2 females or all females for the livebearers. I think I know want you want to do, you don't want the livebearers to mate. Well unfortunately that is almost impossible. I you get 1 male 2 females they will almost always mate, and if you get all females chances are they mated in store.

5. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

Its not best to keep neon tetras in a 10g, they are a schooling fish (at least 6+ fish) and need a lot more swimming room 20g long minimum). As for guppies and platys, you could do 3-4 males of either (but not both) (with females, you'll be soon overrun), but they do best in a larger tank.

Therfore, here is a good list of what you can keep in a 10g :)
    Stocking List for 10 Gallons

Hope this helps and best of luck!

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Can't do that. CPDs are so active that 6 need a minimum of 10 gallons, 20 is better.

7. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

12 CPDs are the max for a 10 gallon and they would fit comfortably.

8. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

What about a nice planted tank with
    1 Betta
    3 Nerite Snails
    7 Red cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp?
    Edit: Sorry @goplecos didnt mean to reply to your post...

9. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Alot of people keep 6 tetras in 10 gallon. Can't keep all male livebearers either, they will fight if there are no females present. Sorry if my last post sounded dumb I meant or not and, fixed now.

10. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Male livebearers don't fight if provided hiding space. Trust me, I've been keeping livebearers for 11 years. Neons really do need more than a 10. Sure they fit, but they're too active.

11. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

With tetras, its one of those things that people do, but most don't recommend. It's not like you can't keep them in there, but you want to provide them lots of swimming room to dart back and forth in.

As for the livebearers, they aren't too aggressive as long as you provide places to hide; it was simply a suggestion if the OP still wanted to keep them in his tank :)

12. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Most Tetras get larger and more active than CPDs and require a 20 gallon minimum but some Tetras like the Ember Tetra(1 inch at adulthood) and Green Neon Tetras(1 inch at adulthood) stay small and less active so are fit for a 10 gallon. You can keep all male livebearers but you would need a well planted tank that breaks line of sight.

13. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I thought CPDs could have a small amount of space but too, but that is not the case sadly, even though they are small, they are super active and need lots of swimming space.

Thanks for the info I've always kept tetras in large aquariums so I don't know personally. As for the livebearers it's not a question of space and places to hide. With no females the males need to amuse themselves and pick fights. I my experience if there are not enough females or no females the males need entertainment and so are actively aggressive to one another. It's very rarely one fish picking on another. Again, thanks about the tetras.

14. fish.for.life Initiate Member

Can I keep 1 male guppy and 3 plates and 2 panda Cory cat fish

15. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Get rid of the guppy, they are very social fish. Corys need at least groups of 3, 6 is better and corys no matter how many there are should be an a 20+ gallon

16. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Cories like to be in groups 6+

17. FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Panda Corys require a 20 gallon minimum and a group of 8+, and in a 10 gallon, I would recommend only going with one livebearer species.

18. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Panda Cories need to be in a 20 gallon tank minimum and need to be kept in a group of 6+. How about
    8 Pygmy Cories
    2 Guppies or 1 Platy
    Cherry Shrimp

19. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

@fish.for.life what about a dwarf puffer tank you can put 3 dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon and are fun and will be cool to have but they are an only species tank they will attack any thing that will be in there. But are fun to watch when they eat snails!

20. fish.for.life Initiate Member

A male guppy need to be alone or he will fight with the other guppys I read it in someone's post