fish identification

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,264
Reaction score
9
Points
358
Experience
More than 10 years

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Messages
459
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Tom on the last two, I don't think the first is a rosy barb.
But I may be wrong.
Brianna
 

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Messages
695
Reaction score
4
Points
178

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Messages
459
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Experience
5 to 10 years
You are right Luniyn. Good identification.

Brianna
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

janhvizdak

New Member
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Points
151
I love you people . Thanks a lot for helping me!
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,165
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure the 3rd one is a Sunset Fire Platy. She's a pretty fish with a little unusual coloring for one, but the sunset fires come in such a variety of red, orange & yellow.
 

Terry

Valued Member
Messages
239
Reaction score
20
Points
178
The last one looks like a Sunset Variatus to me, but that's basically a platy anyway & may be the old common name that has now been been replaced with Sunset Fire Platy.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,165
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
Terry said:
The last one looks like a Sunset Variatus to me, but that's basically a platy anyway & may be the old common name that has now been been replaced with Sunset Fire Platy.
Yea, you're right. I looked up Sunset Variatus & found this link: . I didn't know the Sunset Fire Platy was aka Sunset Variatus. Sounds like you're really up on your platys info. They're great little fish.
 

Terry

Valued Member
Messages
239
Reaction score
20
Points
178
I guess Sunset Fire Platy sounds more attractive (and easier to say) than Sunset Variatus! Yep, I really do like the platys and have Yellow & Reg Wagtails, and some Yellow Mickey Mouse & Yellow Twinbars. For the money, you can't beat the clean, bright colors of them, and they add so much flashiness to a tank. Like everyone elses mine all run to the front of the tank when I walk buy - food time! It's really hard not to overfeed them, but you have to. I swear they could eat 24 hours a day!
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,165
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
Terry said:
I guess Sunset Fire Platy sounds more attractive (and easier to say) than Sunset Variatus! Yep, I really do like the platys and have Yellow & Reg Wagtails, and some Yellow Mickey Mouse & Yellow Twinbars. For the money, you can't beat the clean, bright colors of them, and they add so much flashiness to a tank. Like everyone elses mine all run to the front of the tank when I walk buy - food time! It's really hard not to overfeed them, but you have to. I swear they could eat 24 hours a day!
Isn't it the truth? We call ours stomachs with fins. They'll gladly suck up to ANYBODY within feeding distance. They're such funny little characters - even the older fry are starting to act like that.
 

Terry

Valued Member
Messages
239
Reaction score
20
Points
178
Stomachs with fins is appropriate! Several of mine are about ready to pop with babies. If I think they're really close I'll move one or two to an empty quarantine tank that is set up and running, but hasn't been used in ages. Or, I'll just let nature takes it's course and if any fry survive being eaten so be it. I really have no room for any more fish at the time anyway. I'm going to either set up an empty 55 g glass tank I have, or buying a new acrylic tank, but that will be either for Malawi cichlids, or saltwater - haven't made up my mind yet.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,165
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
Terry said:
Stomachs with fins is appropriate! Several of mine are about ready to pop with babies. If I think they're really close I'll move one or two to an empty quarantine tank that is set up and running, but hasn't been used in ages. Or, I'll just let nature takes it's course and if any fry survive being eaten so be it. I really have no room for any more fish at the time anyway. I'm going to either set up an empty 55 g glass tank I have, or buying a new acrylic tank, but that will be either for Malawi cichlids, or saltwater - haven't made up my mind yet.
Too bad we don't live closer to you or we'd be happy to take any fry off your hands since we already have a tank set aside for fry and our Platy is out of fuel i think.
 

Terry

Valued Member
Messages
239
Reaction score
20
Points
178
Your platy is out of fuel? Oh nooooooo!!! Funny!!! :-[
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Messages
25,165
Reaction score
26
Points
508
Experience
Just started
lol.. we think she might be.. her last batch was only 4 fry total and 2 were stillborn & deformed so it seems like she's done now.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom