Fish Identification, Chocolate Oranda?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Tayls, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Tayls

TaylsValued MemberMember

Hi,
    I'm curious about the latest addition to my tank. He/she was labelled as a chocolate oranda, but I think maybe it's more like a ryukin. I'm feeding plenty of protein to help with wen growth if it is an oranda after all.
    I would just like to know what kind of fancy he/she is so I can tend to any specific needs.
    In the last 2-3 weeks there's been about 1/2" growth length-wise, especially since I raised the temp from 60 to 73 degrees farenheit (I know - fail. My old thermometer was dodgy).
    Water parameters are Am: 0, Ni: 0, Nitrates: 5-10ppm. Currently feeding Repashy super gold gel food, bloodworms, brine shrimp and daphnia. He/she is about 2.5" long including tail and lives with 2 adult black moors.
    Hope that helps and thanks anyone!

Attached Files:

2. Lauren A

Lauren ANew MemberMember

I'm not experienced in goldfish, so my advice would be to either bring the fish into the store you got him/her from or call the store and double check.

3. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

doesn't have that ridge before the dorsal fin of young ryukins.

could be a chocolate oranda, looks pretty small, will have to wait and see. could be a few weeks or a few months.

4. OP
    OP
    Tayls

TaylsValued MemberMember

Thanks, yes it was definitely labelled as a chocolate oranda but it wasn't from my usual trusted fish store so I am second guessing them haha. It was from Pets at Home, which is like Walmart for pets.

5. OP
    OP
    Tayls

TaylsValued MemberMember

Thanks! I'll keep my beady eye on him/her. They said they were very young and would 'explode' in size quickly

6. candiedragon

candiedragonWell Known MemberMember

That is definitely not a Ryukin. It definitely looks like a very young under-developed Oranda.

To my knowledge, I believe the chocolate varieties that emulate the Ochiba Shigure koi patterns have been bred into Orandas and Ranchus. I've yet to hear of such a Ryukin or Fantail.

7. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

This one is a chocolate fan tail, not an oranda, you'd see more of a wen on the head.

8. candiedragon

Not unless it's still quite young. Oranda's may start showing signs of wen growth after 3-4 months, but it won't really start to develop until after a year or two in age. It's really hard to tell especially since Orandas are bred from Fantails and Lionheads allegedly. I still firmly believe it is an Oranda, but I guess it's just one of those wait-and-see type of deal.

9. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

It looks like a young Oranda to me as well. I can't explain why, except I've seen a lot of young Fantails and a lot of young Orandas. There's a subtle difference. I think it's the body and in the tail.

10. OP
    OP
    Tayls

TaylsValued MemberMember

Thanks so much everyone! Yes, I think it's very young so definitely a waiting game. Love this forum, such insight thank you

11. OP
    OP
    Tayls

TaylsValued MemberMember

As it must be under two or three months, is there anything you would recommend I need to feed or any specific care they might need in comparison to the adult fancies? Sorry to ask!

12. candiedragon

No worries lol. Usually young are fed 3-5 times a day, do keep in mind they don't have a stomach but just a digestive tract, so try to feed moist and/or sinking foods. You can add some greens to their diet, like blanched veggies like lettuce, cucumbers, or deshelled peas, or you can simply add plants like anacharis, water wisteria, or duckweed (if you have any taking over another tank it's a perfect opportunity to just farm it for the goldies). High protein foods with more marine-based ingredients are good. I personally feed straight repashy since I have a ryukin who gets swim bladder issues when eating any kind of dry food. The Super Gold or Soilent Green are choice for goldies.

13. OP
    OP
    Tayls

TaylsValued MemberMember

Oh thanks so much!! I'm currently feeding repashy super gold so that's good to hear as well as alternating frozen daphnia, blood worms and brine shrimp every other day. That's great for the advice about feeding 3-5x a day I had no idea. He/she seems super hungry constantly and more so than the adults

14. candiedragon

Well, they're always going to be begging for food no matter what lol. It's just because they're growing so it's in their nature to eat as much as possible to get as big as possible.