Fish Identification and New World/Madagscar Cichlids mixed with African Cichlids

Nicholas Yeager

Reaction score
Hello All,

Could use please help me identify this fish I picked up at the aquarium?
3c684a3e-31db-4aa6-9bd4-3c7aeccde7d8.jpg
He gets along well in my 150 gallon over the past 2 months with my clown knife, black diamond cichlid, blood parrot and festivum.

But i would like to add more fish to the tank and I want to know all species I have to make sure everyone gets along. 3 Possible course of action I think so far, please advise;

A) Ordering online from liveaquaria.com (is that safe?) what i think is compatible and like the looks of is a red star flowerhorn, bushy/bristle nose golden albino catfish, Threadfin Geophagus and two Full Red Agassizi Cichlids

B) Getting locally from a friend some very well taken care of ob ahli cichlids, dragon blood cichlids and mbuna cichlids he has various types of peacocks etc. In this case I am concerned about aggression and possible brackish or at least added salt requirement?

C) Any third suggestion for a course of action?

My current tank environment;

150 gallon tank, 81 Degree water, Lots of Mopani wood, 3 large hiding caves, 1 mopani wood cave, Pool Filter Sand Substrate, Overflow Wet/Dry Sump system (3200 GPH).

Thank you so much!

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Unrelated I know - can I see a pic of the whole tank? I love large tanks

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The red form of the common scat Scatophagus argus. Will have to be moved into salt water tank as an adult.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't mix African and New World cichlids. The cichlids you mentioned in B aren't brackish and don't need salt added to their tanks - they just need hard water.

Not sure about the compatibility for your fish and the fish you listed in A, but LiveAquaria seems to be a decent online (if expensive) source. They have a good DOA policy.

Nicholas Yeager

Reaction score
MarkN1990 said:
Unrelated I know - can I see a pic of the whole tank? I love large tanks
Sure!

Attachments

Nicholas Yeager

Reaction score
slayer5590 said:
The red form of the common scat Scatophagus argus. Will have to be moved into salt water tank as an adult.
Ouch, I am so glad I posted this. I guess I may have to bring him back to the store. I will do some research and Figure out what I will do. Thank you so much this has been very helpful!

MarkN1990

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Dovah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fish Lore!

What is the fish in your first picture?

Nicholas Yeager

Reaction score
Dovah said:
Welcome to Fish Lore!

What is the fish in your first picture?
Apparently a Red Scat which will require saltwater environment when he gets older, I think I am going to need to return him to the pet store which is really sad because we love his personality.

Dovah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah he looks like a cool dude. Sorry for derping out, I see that slayer5590 ID'd him up thread... And that you didn't know either. <_<

The other part of your post bottled my mind!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom