Fish Identification! 8D

Zukuda

Alright, last year my teacher ordered a bunch of Zebra Danio for our biodome projects since Zebra Danio's eat plants. When the shipment came in, I noticed one of the fish was not a Zebra Danio. We left him in there with the Danios, and I noticed how skinny he was getting, so I talked my teacher into letting me take him home.

I brought him home, and as I thought, he was a little carnivore and dined on daphnia and ate till he was full. I put him in with my White Cloud Minnows, he was shy of them at first, but he eventually started schooling with them. He's been happy ever since, but I figured it's time to figure out just what he is!

So, He's a bit longer than a full grown White Cloud Minnow.
He looks a lot like a Siamese Algae Eater but is not.
He's grey with the black stripe and white stomach of the algae eater, but the stripe does not go into the tail.
He is not a flying fox, or any other false simease algae eaters, because his tail is not forked, but rounded like a fan. He is no other colors than the silver, black stripe, and white bottom.

He eats regular fish flakes, daphnia, blood worms, crushed gammorus, and schools well.

HE IS NOT AGGRESSIVE AT ALL!

I'll see if I can upload a picture, but does anyone have a guess of what he is?

First edit:

Here he is with my cloud minnows, he's almost neon tetra like, and just as skittish.

This pic is hard to see, but his mouth is almost beak like.

Second edit:

I almost feel like he's a hierarchy type fish. He's also in a tank with 4 female bettas and one male betta. He does the same bow the other bettas do to the dominant betta.
If you know about bettas, there's a dominant female and a dominant male, and you can tell which one is the dominant because as that fish comes around, all the other bettas bow to show they are not the dominant. When the dominant bettas come around, he bows too, just like the other bettas. The cloud minnows do not do this.
Just a strange little set of info.

Angela_96

Have you looked at the profiles and seen the pics of an oto? That sounds like it could be?

Zukuda

Have you looked at the profiles and seen the pics of an oto? That sounds like it could be?

I have an otto, he's not one. XD

Thanks a ton though!

Angela_96

no prob, it just sounded like it could have been an oto

Zukuda

Zukuda

Possibly a black neon tetra?

I just uploaded a photo, you can look and check, but I don't think so.

Zukuda

Nope, your right, it doesn't look like a black neon.

It looks like a siamese algae eater, but like you said, the tail looks different.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm

lol yes, and the fact he's a carnivore too. He doesn't stick to walls, he free swims just like a tetra and schools. XD The fan tail is a killer too, I originally thought he was a false simese algae eater, but the fins are all wrong.

Lucy

Someone should be able to help you soon. Whatever he is, he's a cute little bugger. lol

Zukuda

Someone should be able to help you soon. Whatever he is, he's a cute little bugger. lol

Yes he is, and so energetic! XD I love my Bailey.

Markm0723

It looks allot like one of the Daces. Here's some info on one of the more common ones the Red-Bellied Dace.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_redbelly_dace

Since most danios are pond raised, a native fish could have slipped in.

Mark

Zukuda

It looks allot like one of the Daces. Here's some info on one of the more common ones the Red-Bellied Dace.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_redbelly_dace

Since most danios are pond raised, a native fish could have slipped in.

Mark

It's possible, but look at the tail, it doesn't seem to fit in. XD The Dace tails go to a point, while my fish Bailey's tail goes perfectly round. =3 Good try though. It's very possible a native fish slipped in.

Zukuda

<3

Zukuda

Feel free to post guesses, so far the best guess is a Mutt of a fish. XD

Angela_96

Ah, since you are questioning it being a native US fish, have you looked at darters? There are many different types and they are small non aggressive danio type fish.
I googled s and there are at least 2 that are identical to your fish.

Zukuda

Ah, since you are questioning it being a native US fish, have you looked at darters? There are many different types and they are small non aggressive danio type fish.
I googled s and there are at least 2 that are identical to your fish.

I'll look into that! =D

Zukuda

I looked up darters, the amount of fins and the head shape is wrong for every species of darter I looked up. X3 If you find one that's identical, link me!

Marc

Darters are goby-like. If there's the possibility of it being native, it could potentially be a shiner, but shiners do not stay that small in most cases and don't tend to have that type of finnage.

I have seen this kind of fish before, but the name was not known. I'll keep looking into it.

Shawnie

he is a false siamese and heres a great link

zeebo

maybe its a false siamese ?

jgon_

The markings remind me of some types of pencil fish

edit: nevermind, the shape's all wrong

Lucy

I think she's ruled out false siamese because Baily's tail fin is fanned, not forked.

Angela_96

For some reason I was thinking of darters, here is a pic of the fish I was thinking of, the ones in the lower right hand of this pic:

323.jpg

these are fish from the chatt aquarium, I will have to ask the local fish species expert (my husband what they were when he gets home)

Zukuda

I looked into differen't types of darters, but the head shape is wrong if the tail is right, and if the head is right it has too many fins. XD We'll figure this out!!!

Lol again! Bailey is NOT a false Simese Algae eater! XD

Zukuda

The markings remind me of some types of pencil fish

edit: nevermind, the shape's all wrong

I looked into pencil fish because I thought that too, but the colors differ and the shape. XD

Zukuda

Darters are goby-like. If there's the possibility of it being native, it could potentially be a shiner, but shiners do not stay that small in most cases and don't tend to have that type of finnage.

I have seen this kind of fish before, but the name was not known. I'll keep looking into it.

=D Yeah, I've had Bailey for quite a few months now, and there's been no change in size. XD The finage has been the big clinch on identifying him. Everyone gets something really close, but the tail fin or the amount of fins in general are wrong. XD Good luck!

Zukuda

That's so incredibly close, but Bailey has an extra set of fins on his tale and his shape isn't quite that. XD So close!

Coryd55

Possibly Galaxiella nigrostriata, Black-striped minnow

Zukuda

Possibly Galaxiella nigrostriata, Black-striped minnow

Tail isn't dipped and the colors are wrong for it, good shot though! We'll figure out what it is eventually.

lilFishyfish

Looks like a one lined pencilfish. Very cute!

Oh hey I just did some research for you and I saw on a another thread that you have a female lucania goodei. Hope this helps!!!

Yay!!!

Marc

That's exactly what I'd seen--and I imagine that's the fish. Nice find, lilFishyfish!

Dark Ryok

Nah, the mouths wrong on the female fish picture. The picture above has a surface dwelling mouth. Their mouths are on the bottom, I actually thought they were a sucker fish at one point in time... But when I had them in tanks, they always stayed in the middle, Id rarely see them on the bottom, and I don't think they ever swam near the top.
I used to catch that minnow here in Northern Virginia to feed my wolffish. I never found out what they were either, because I wasn't sure what to search for. The biggest Ive seen has been like 3-4 inches. They stick together in normally deeper creek waters.

Speedy

HI Zulcuda
That is a new on me. I'm very curious myself. It looks like some kind african characin or a dwarf pencilfish but neither of them looks like it exactly it looks like a cross breed of some kind maybe. I don't really know but I hope someone can ID it for you.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hellfishguy
Replies
Views
Passionfish
  • Question
Replies
Views
Breannaw1
Replies