29 Gallon Tank Fish Ideas:

nfla850

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That does sound tempting, but how will they be with my baby fish?

Here's the story... I had to 10gals, got rid of one, and got my 28 tall. So in that 28, I have a zamora catfish, striped raphael catfish, 3 black finned long-skirt tetras, fire red gourami, and a blue gourami.

Tomorrow I'm going to purchase an armored pleco.

How would angelfish be with the above said?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello NFLA and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I hope you enjoy the site. I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum. I believe it will help you to get more responses.

Thanks! Have fun stocking your tank.

Ken

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you're quite overstocked personally. Your striped raphael catfish will get much too large for the tank you have and I personally think the other cat will not be comfortable full grown in your tank either although I did not find much information on them. I do not reccomend at all adding a pleco at all but if you have algae then add a snail or two. You could add a couple more tetras if you really want to but I really don't think its needed until you rehome the cats.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Name some good fish ideas. I have freshwater 28gal tall.
That does sound tempting, but how will they be with my baby fish?

Here's the story... I had to 10gals, got rid of one, and got my 28 tall. So in that 28, I have a zamora catfish, striped raphael catfish, 3 black finned long-skirt tetras, fire red gourami, and a blue gourami.

Tomorrow I'm going to purchase an armored pleco.

How would angelfish be with the above said?
You ought to update your aquarium info.....

nfla850

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What I don't think most of you understand is that these fish are spread out in two different tanks. My raphael isn't even an inch long, and my zamora is barely an inch.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What I don't think most of you understand is that these fish are spread out in two different tanks.
Who's in what? Just so we're all clear.

My raphael isn't even an inch long, and my zamora is barely an inch.
Now, but they won't stay that small. When people say that a tank is overstocked, they're looking at the adult size. Do you have a larger tank or just the 10g and 28g? Or at least a plan to buy a larger tank for when your fish reach their adult size?

-Lisa

nfla850

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, but I'm good friends with 7 or 8 people with 55g and 100g and up, so as my fish grow to large, I pass them on.

Thank you for not sounding so abrasively critical. That's one thing I don't like about a lot of people in the fish world.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you shouldn't take us the wrong way we simply just want to help you make the best lives for these fish. Can you tell us which fish are in which tank? That'd help us give you further information

nfla850

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
you shouldn't take us the wrong way we simply just want to help you make the best lives for these fish. Can you tell us which fish are in which tank? That'd help us give you further information
I understand you don't MEAN to be that way, some people are just better at sounding helpful rather than, as I said before, abrasively critical.

There is a list of which fish are in which tank on my profile.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SO you have a common pleco, a senegal bichir, an african knife, a jack dempsey, a 3 spot gourami, 5 angelfish and a couple of catfish in a 28 gallon tank, and you want suggerstions for additional fish?

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
welcome to fl! so i noticed you say you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. that is very critical to fishkeeping....and giving the fish the best chance at life.

on another note, you're overstocked in the 28g. you might want to rehome the pleco, they produce a lot of waste, and get huge. 5 angels is a lot for a 28g....and a 3 spot gourami gets pretty big, like 5+ inches. you could get away with the gourami if there wasn't so much else in there. at least think about a bigger tank, or rehoming a lot of them. sorry to have to say that. i'm sure you enjoy your fish. but you probably want to do what's best for them though right?

PS. you're overstocked in the 10g too.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What I don't think most of you understand is that these fish are spread out in two different tanks.
This is why it is so important for you to fill out your aquarium information as completely and accurately as possible. The members on this site rely heavily on that when we give advice.

We always consider adult size of fish, rather than current size, when giving stocking advice. I doubt you'll get many people here who will help you severely overstock your tank in the hope that you upgrade or rehome later.

As far as us sounding critically abrasive, it's really hard to put tone down in a typed post. You'll either have to forgive us for "sounding" abrasive, or decide to be less sensitive about such things. The people here are pretty cool about helping with tank issues.

Welcome to fishlore. I hope you enjoy the forum.

nfla850

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SO you have a common pleco, a senegal bichir, an african knife, a jack dempsey, a 3 spot gourami, 5 angelfish and a couple of catfish in a 28 gallon tank, and you want suggerstions for additional fish?
I posted this before I added those fish, thanks. Plus I relocated the angelfish that day.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You ought to update your aquarium info.....
There is a list of which fish are in which tank on my profile.
I posted this before I added those fish, thanks. Plus I relocated the angelfish that day.
I, for one, am still unsure of what is in your tank. Can you understand the confusion? That's why its important to update the aquarium info.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you just started the 10 gallon maybe a week ago then how you are overstocked already is beyond me. There is no type of pleco that can go in anything smaller than a 20 gallon tank, plus I doubt there is enough algae in that tank regaurdless. Tiger barbs and Cherry barbs need to be in groups of ATLEAST 5 to be calm and not tank terrorists. The tiger barbs are probably going to kill everything in your tank, they do best in a species only tank. Plus your tetras are longfin so I can only imagine how much fun the barbs are having.

You're still over stocked in the 28 gallon as well. You have to think about the adult size of the fish when buying them. Because realistically how many people upgrade their tanks for a $10 fish....not many.

So that is why no one is willing to give you advice on what you should put in the tank. We're not trying to be mean but merely trying to help you give the best home for the fish you already have.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And again, folks here will use the adult size of the fish as a measuring tool to help you with stocking ideas.

Perhaps when you go back in to update your tank info, you can actually utilize the feature that allows you to enter separate information for each tank. At a glimpse, your info is really confusing because we're not used to seeing tanks blended together like that.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom