Fish Ideas

Whip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey guys. I’ve got a 55 gallon tank that I’ve got Red Eye Tetras in currently. I’m adding 8 Blacktop Corydoras tomorrow night. I want to add something a little bigger with some color. It’s fairly drab at the moment. Maybe like a pair to be more of the centerpiece. I don’t want the tetras bothered too much as I’ve grown pretty attached to them. Anybody messes with them and they’re out. Maybe some sort of top dweller? The options I’ve seen don’t appeal to me. I was looking at possibly a Betta but I’m worried the tetras will nip. I’m not too worried about the Corydoras so much as they’ll be mostly out of the way. Dwarf Gourami? I’m open to any suggestions. I definitely want everyone to feel safe and as comfortable as possible. Thanks in advance.

Whip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. I’ll look into the Gouramis. Don’t know why, but I just don’t like angels. Since I was a kid.

I think the powder blues would be a bit too big for the community. I’m looking for something more in the 4” range. 5” max. Thanks though.

I’d worry about the tetras nipping the gourami as this species will do that at times. They definitely nip each other here and there.

Edit: when I searched powder blues, the first result came up with powder-blue surgeon fish. I realize that’s not what you meant. My apologies.

Last edited:

Whip

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like all of the options everyone has mentioned. Slightly rethinking my despise if angels as well. In your opinion(s) is the fin nipping with my tetras something I should be really worried about? I’ve got 9 at the moment and I’m thinking of adding 3-6 more depending on what I choose to add. How many more fish added to my current stock is overkill? Clearly I’m still really new to all of this. But it’s awesome!

altwitch

Reaction score
Pearl Gouramis or Turqoise Rainbows are my faves for larger centerpiece fish. Either are comfortable in smallish schools of 3-5 in my experience. Other rainbow/gourami options are certainly a thing too.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Pearl Gourami they get good size are super peaceful and super personable and beautiful IMO
They're really not that peaceful from my experience. Had one that would constantly harass my female molly and chases everyone away when it's feeding time. Imo, the bigger the gourami, the more aggressive it is. From my personal experience, honey gouramis are 10x more peaceful than pearls.

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with honey gouramis. You can get the sunset kind/the kind that get super colofrul, and with a few males in there ( along with a little larger shoal of females) they might even breed. Beautiful fishes

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom