Fish ideas?

1. M

Marine Man Valued Member Member

I have a Jack Dempsey that I am getting rid of and would like to know what fish I should get for my tank. I already have plans for 6 Discus fish but am still wondering what other freshwater fish there are that look "exotic" or "saltwater" like. Thanks in advance.

2. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Your tank (if we're talking about the tank in your aquarium info) is already overstocked. Are you planning on upgrading your tank?

3. OP
    OP
    M

No, what I meant was I have a plan set out to buy some discus but I want to know other exotic or saltwater like freshwater fish to get instead.

4. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

:animal0068: Hi Marine Man, I have moved your quesiton to the Aquarium Stocking Questions forum.

5. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank are you looking to stock, Marine Man? Are you looking to do a species-only tank, or a community?

6. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Oh, ok. Well if you do decide to go with discus, I would say no more than three or four in a 35. That is the size of the tank you're thinking about right? Which fish you are able to choose from would depend on the size of the tank. If you had a bigger tank, cichlids are probably the most colorful freshwater fish that I can think of.

7. OP
    OP
    M

Well the discus are taken care of and I just want names of fish

what type of set p do freshwater rays need? Or what are some other fish that have that saltwater look to them

8. sirdarksol

For what size tank? There are thousands upon thousands of types of fish. Cichlids, rainbows, rays, catfish... there are fish in all of these that can look like saltwater fish. Without knowing what size tank you're looking to fill, we'd just be randomly listing off fish.

9. OP
    OP
    M

This tank is 35 gallons

10. sirdarksol

Dwarf rainbows or dwarf cichlids will carry the colors you see in marine fish, and would do well in a 35g. With the cichlids, it would be best to be species-only (or at least only cichlids from the same area). Rainbows also do best in a species-only, although corydoras catfish might do well with them.

11. OP
    OP
    M

THanks