Fish Ideas?

1. F

F4L New Member Member

Hi! I'm new to this particular forum, however I'm not that new to fishkeeping. I have been doing it for about 1 year.
    Recently I decided to buy a 55 gallon tank. It is fully cycled and has gravel, decorations, and fake plants. If any of you know any great fish that can be put into a 55 gallon for their entire lifespan without outgrowing it, please tell me :) freshwater only. I want a variety of different species that:
    A) Can be kept together peacefully
    B) Will not outgrow the tank
    C) Are not to small
    D) Are very active and nice to watch

(Please specify both the name of the fish and the amount that you would suggest be put in)

Thanks for reading!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

This is the most recent video I have of the 55, though the stock has changed a little. I move fish around quite a bit. In the video are chanchito cichids, zebra loaches, colombian tetras, tiger barbs, giant danios, golden wonder killis and a clown pleco. I got rid of the tiger barbs (tired of them) and moved the killis to the 125. I added gold barbs, rosy barbs and a couple of bolivian rams. I'm probably going to move the clown pleco to the 90 and get a larger pleco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdjpjLd1NA

3. N

Nieveso New Member Member

Best tank ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. OP
    OP
    F

F4L New Member Member

Wow, very nice set up :) I really love your center decoration. I was actually think of tiger barbs, but I'm not sure yet because I think they're a little too fast paced for my taste. And they are semi-aggressive if not schooled.

I was actually thinking about Cichlids mixed with schooling fish. The most peaceful one I can think of is the Blood Red Parrot Cichlid. I think it'd look nice if I put two BRP Cichlids, and then a nice school of 6-10 fish. Do you think the Parrots would outgrow the 55, and what schooling fish would mix well with them?

5. Jaysee

I did a video walk through of all my tanks - some fish have since been moved around, as well as new fish added, but they remain pretty much the same. Soon it will be time for an update.

Warning, it's a long video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhgB3_m3x3U

6. Jaysee

Tiger barbs are semi aggressive in a school too. I had a hard time maintaining a proper school because they would kill each other. For years I'd been replenishing the school and I'm done.

Yes, blood parrots are much too big for a 55 gallon tank. There are plenty of "peaceful" cichlids that you could do a community tank with. The number of choices depends on the size of the fish you want.