Fish ideas for 60 Gallon Saltwater

FishFreak1

I have two black ocellaris (both 3-4 inches), two ocellaris (about 2 inches), a pink spot watchman goby (reaching max size but isn't as wide as I've seen other pink spots), a turbo snail, a long spined urchin, a pencil urchin, a trI stripe damselfish (growing slowly and is presently two or three inches), several snails of the bumblebee, cerith, and nassarius variety, a brittle starfish, and three yellowtailed damselfish (the three damselfish are in a quarantine tank. They were very small when I got them, and I wanted to grow them out a bit before I added them. They are about 1-2 inches now. I haven't had the best luck with growing damselfish, so I am kind of surprised they have reached such length. I am beginning to think my experience with this slow growth is adding damselfish to tanks with other competitors, such as clownfish and surgeonfish). I've had the tank for awhile, and have had a lot of fish come and go. I would like to add a coral beauty, a neon dottyback, and a long nose hawkfish. I would get the neon dottyback and coral beauty first, and the long nose hawkfish added last. However, I am not certain exactly how much room I have left for fish and whether or not the fish will get along. My clowns and goby prefer a certain side of the tank and until recently the trI stripe preferred that side too. I have several questions.
1.) Is it possible to have a full tank where only half of the tank is populated? I own a 75 gallon saltwater tank too, and the fish in that tank also prefer a certain side. I do not know if this is normal. In my 60 gallon I think it is most likely because a heater is on that side, but circulating the water with my wave runner had no effect. I have tried adding food to the other side of the tank, in which the black ocellaris would rush over, eat the food, and rush back. My 75 gallon does not have a heater on the preferred side. I think they prefer that side because the water flow is a lot less strong. The 60 gallon has a filter on both sides of the tank, so I do not believe this preferred side thing is simply a water flow problem. I normally add water on the populated side, hoping this will make the other side more tempting, but to no avail. But I digress. I am worried that new fish will attempt to move to this preferred side, but because it is populated with the black ocellaris, I am worried the new fish might not be able to live well if they only want to live on one side of the tank but can't. My black ocellaris are rather boisterous, nipping me when I put my hand in the tank to add a new rock or move something around that has toppled or is too close to the side for me to clean properly. I had a scissortail dartfish that was forced to live on the other side, and he perished, although that might have been the tri-stripe's fault, who ranges throughout the tank.

2.) Will I have to worry about the neon dottyback bothering the clownfish or damselfish, or all the fish pestering the neon dottyback? I wanted to add this dottyback to the tank because they seem to have a temperament where they can hold their own, along with not getting that large. I was first leaning towards a springerI damsel, but I would then have even more fish that were black and blue, and I want to add some more variety to the tank. I think the yellow on the neon would really stand out when it comes out, although I could be wrong.

3.) What is the possibility the longnose hawkfish will kill the ocellaris, the damsels, the dottyback, and the invertebrates? I've researched it, and many sites say that longnose hawkfish are more peaceful than possibly other hawkfish, but they will eat shrimp, starfish, snails, and small fish. I would think a turbo would make a good meal. The sites said that longnose hawkfish are normally good with fish around their size or slightly smaller, but exactly what is the minimum size for fish to be safe around a long nosed hawkfish? Along with this, are urchins safe around hawkfish? I believe my long spined's spikes are long enough to protect the urchin, unless the hawkfish will break the spikes or chomp on them like a triggerfish would, but I am worried the snout can reach my pencil urchin's flesh. I've always wanted a longnosed hawkfish, so it is sad if the possibility of it wreaking havoc is too high, but if it is most likely safe I would like to add this fish as the last addition to the tank.

Keep in mind I am simply weighing what the best options are in my tank's future, and I will not be adding these fish immediately. I would like to add a neon dottyback or coral beauty to my quarantine tank in two months or so time and grow them out before adding them into the tank. My quarantine tank is quite large, about 50 gallons.

manning7987

Just keep a close watch on the hawk fish if it really starts to go after your clowns you should rehome one of them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
N13
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
  • Poll
Replies
Views
CoryBoi