Fish Ideas 20 Gallon Community Tank

Lefky

Active Member
Member
Messages
453
Reaction score
77
Location
Arizona
Experience
1 year
I was wondering if these fish will all go well with each other in a 20 gallon community tank.

I currently have: 1 angelfish (planning on giving away as I don't have another tank), 1 Hatchet, 4 Neons and 4 Corys
Tank is kept at around 78-82F and filtered
Water: (with ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite, it is read between 0-.49 but only shows in a pattern of 25 for ammonia and .5 for nitrate and nitrite so it can be in between 0 and .49 and ammonia 0 to 24)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Total Hardness: 75 soft
Total Chlorine: 0
Total Alkalinity: 120
pH: 7.8
Apologies for the rapid creation of posts, just a beginner with many questions.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Lefky

Lefky

Active Member
Member
Messages
453
Reaction score
77
Location
Arizona
Experience
1 year
ZigI Zig said:
Hello
how old is your 20.gal tank
I have only had it for a month with the fish. It was up and running for 2 weeks before I introduced my first fish.
 

DuaneV

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,470
Reaction score
2,782
Location
Maine
Experience
More than 10 years
That list is fine except for the Neons. Neons do way better in low to mid 70's. At 78-82, you'll shorten their lifespan. So Id get rid of the Angel and Neons and Id adjust the stock this way:

If its a 20 tall:
6 Hatchetfish
6 Corys
1 Gourami
10 Rasbora

If its a 20 long:
8 Hatchetfish
8 Corys
1 Gourami
10-15 Rasbora

A 20 isn't really big enough for 2 schools of mid column fish either, so its another good reason to drop the Neons. And schooling fish do WAY better in bigger schools. 4 of this, 4 of that isn't ideal.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
Lefky

Lefky

Active Member
Member
Messages
453
Reaction score
77
Location
Arizona
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
That list is fine except for the Neons. Neons do way better in low to mid 70's. At 78-82, you'll shorten their lifespan. So Id get rid of the Angel and Neons and Id adjust the stock this way:

If its a 20 tall:
6 Hatchetfish
6 Corys
1 Gourami
10 Rasbora

If its a 20 long:
8 Hatchetfish
8 Corys
1 Gourami
10-15 Rasbora

A 20 isn't really big enough for 2 schools of mid column fish either, so its another good reason to drop the Neons. And schooling fish do WAY better in bigger schools. 4 of this, 4 of that isn't ideal.
The tank is 24in L 12in W and 16in H
I will go with the 20 long Idea thank you very much. Also, since I don't want to get too much into breeding, is their a way to avoid that with the rasboras/ hatchets? Also would it be better if the gouramI was a male or female? Would it be ok to mix silver hatchets and marbled or would I have to stick to one?
 

DuaneV

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,470
Reaction score
2,782
Location
Maine
Experience
More than 10 years
That's a 20 tall so Id probably stock it that way. There's less swimming room in a tall than a long.

No worries on the breeding, those fish are tough to breed. It won't happen in a communtiy tank, and if it did AND you had fry hatch, theyll get eaten.

I wouldnt mix the Hatchets, just go with one type since its a small tank.

The GouramI sex doesn't matter.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
Lefky

Lefky

Active Member
Member
Messages
453
Reaction score
77
Location
Arizona
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
That's a 20 tall so Id probably stock it that way. There's less swimming room in a tall than a long.

No worries on the breeding, those fish are tough to breed. It won't happen in a communtiy tank, and if it did AND you had fry hatch, theyll get eaten.

I wouldnt mix the Hatchets, just go with one type since its a small tank.

The GouramI sex doesn't matter.
Alright thank you for the help. I was wondering what plants would go perfect for all these kind of fish aswell? And any treats/ preferable food for all the species. I currently have sinking food for the catfish which they devour and flakes for everything else.
 

DuaneV

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,470
Reaction score
2,782
Location
Maine
Experience
More than 10 years
Happy to help. Youll be happy with that tank, its a really nice setup. I really like Bug Bites as the staple food for most of my fish. Then I feed live and frozen foods plus fresh veggies but any quality foods work.

As for plants, I like to keep it simple. Amazon Swords, Crypts, maybe a couple Dwarf Lily and some Dwarf Water Lettuce. All super easy plants and just putting a few root tabs in around the swords will help them flourish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Lefky

Lefky

Active Member
Member
Messages
453
Reaction score
77
Location
Arizona
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
Happy to help. Youll be happy with that tank, its a really nice setup. I really like Bug Bites as the staple food for most of my fish. Then I feed live and frozen foods plus fresh veggies but any quality foods work.

As for plants, I like to keep it simple. Amazon Swords, Crypts, maybe a couple Dwarf Lily and some Dwarf Water Lettuce. All super easy plants and just putting a few root tabs in around the swords will help them flourish.
Thank you for the help! Will Hatchets, rasbora and the gouramI eat live bloodworms or will they be fine with dried ones?
 

DuaneV

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,470
Reaction score
2,782
Location
Maine
Experience
More than 10 years
As a once in a while treat, frozen are fine. They don't have a ton of nutritional value to them is all.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Lefky

Lefky

Active Member
Member
Messages
453
Reaction score
77
Location
Arizona
Experience
1 year
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions!

DuaneV said:
Happy to help. Youll be happy with that tank, its a really nice setup. I really like Bug Bites as the staple food for most of my fish. Then I feed live and frozen foods plus fresh veggies but any quality foods work.

As for plants, I like to keep it simple. Amazon Swords, Crypts, maybe a couple Dwarf Lily and some Dwarf Water Lettuce. All super easy plants and just putting a few root tabs in around the swords will help them flourish.
For the other plants, is their a liquid I should add to help the other plants like the floating Water Lettuce? Or are they able to strive on their own?
 

DuaneV

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,470
Reaction score
2,782
Location
Maine
Experience
More than 10 years
None of those plants I listed need anything other than the Amazon Swords, and they just need a good root tab every 3-4 months. My Dwarf Water Lettuce literally take over tanks. I mean, its not like Duckweed, but every 2 weeks I throw TONS of it away. I used to sell it but its just too much of a hassle. In tanks with lots of surface agitation it stays smallish, in tanks with minimal surface agitation it grows 7" across. It LOVES nitrates, so heavily stocked tanks will feed it perfectly fine. Dont let it take over too much or it stops light from getting down to your substrate plants.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #14
OP
Lefky

Lefky

Active Member
Member
Messages
453
Reaction score
77
Location
Arizona
Experience
1 year
DuaneV said:
None of those plants I listed need anything other than the Amazon Swords, and they just need a good root tab every 3-4 months. My Dwarf Water Lettuce literally take over tanks. I mean, its not like Duckweed, but every 2 weeks I throw TONS of it away. I used to sell it but its just too much of a hassle. In tanks with lots of surface agitation it stays smallish, in tanks with minimal surface agitation it grows 7" across. It LOVES nitrates, so heavily stocked tanks will feed it perfectly fine. Dont let it take over too much or it stops light from getting down to your substrate plants.
Alright thank you for the help!

DuaneV said:
None of those plants I listed need anything other than the Amazon Swords, and they just need a good root tab every 3-4 months. My Dwarf Water Lettuce literally take over tanks. I mean, its not like Duckweed, but every 2 weeks I throw TONS of it away. I used to sell it but its just too much of a hassle. In tanks with lots of surface agitation it stays smallish, in tanks with minimal surface agitation it grows 7" across. It LOVES nitrates, so heavily stocked tanks will feed it perfectly fine. Dont let it take over too much or it stops light from getting down to your substrate plants.
Just 1 more question, what kinds of gouramI would I be able to put in my tank?
 

DuaneV

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,470
Reaction score
2,782
Location
Maine
Experience
More than 10 years
Ask as many as youd like, there's no limit, lol. A Dwarf variety for sure. Either Powder Blue, Neon Blue, Honey, Sparkling, Chocolate, etc. Maybe even a Licorice, but that might be pushing it. If you planted it HEAVY you could probably pull it off. Lots of options.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Lefky

Lefky

Active Member
Member
Messages
453
Reaction score
77
Location
Arizona
Experience
1 year
I was searching for more fish to stock my tank with when I came across the Paradise Fish. I was wondering if they will get along with Cory Catfish if the tank if planted enough. I am buying live plants very soon to give it a realistic feeling; I already have a small cave they love to go in during the day. They are around an inch and a half and I have had them for around a month. I read that Paradise Fish are aggressive but only to smaller fish and other predatorial fish in the tank. I was hoping Cory Catfish and Paradise fish can get along with live plants and rocks for them to hide in.

Tank: 20 gallon freshwater tank, 24in L 12in W 16in H

Water: 80-120 KH; 60-120 GH; 7.5-8 PH (I believe Paradise fish like around 7.5 PH so I will work on lowering); 0 NO2 and NO3; 78-80F; Looking into buying a Fluval Aquasky LED Aquarium Light 18 Watt

If these 2 species can get along in my tank, I was wondering what other species can also get along with them, if any. Thank you
 

candiedragon

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,422
Reaction score
863
Location
Hawaii
Experience
More than 10 years
Paradise fish is fine with Corys. I feel Paradise Fish are only aggressive to fish of the same family or build, like other gouramis, bettas, and the like. And shrimp most likely lol. I feel they're not that mean and can otherwise be housed with non fin-nipping species.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
Lefky

Lefky

Active Member
Member
Messages
453
Reaction score
77
Location
Arizona
Experience
1 year
candiedragon said:
Paradise fish is fine with Corys. I feel Paradise Fish are only aggressive to fish of the same family or build, like other gouramis, bettas, and the like. And shrimp most likely lol. I feel they're not that mean and can otherwise be housed with non fin-nipping species.
Alright, I entered the 5 fish in aqadvisor and it was around 70%. Do you know of any fish It can be tank mates with? Maybe a honey gouramI or 2? Or would it be defensive against other gouramis?
 

candiedragon

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,422
Reaction score
863
Location
Hawaii
Experience
More than 10 years
Lefky said:
Alright, I entered the 5 fish in aqadvisor and it was around 70%. Do you know of any fish It can be tank mates with? Maybe a honey gouramI or 2? Or would it be defensive against other gouramis?
I would advise against it. As I said, they usually exhibit aggression to others of the same family or build. Honey gouramis wouldn't stand a chance.

Can try a group of neon tetras, or zebra danios, or white cloud mountain minnow.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #20
OP
Lefky

Lefky

Active Member
Member
Messages
453
Reaction score
77
Location
Arizona
Experience
1 year
candiedragon said:
I would advise against it. As I said, they usually exhibit aggression to others of the same family or build. Honey gouramis wouldn't stand a chance.

Can try a group of neon tetras, or zebra danios, or white cloud mountain minnow.
I did some research and found pearl gouramis make great tank mates with paradise fish. If that is not true, then I already have 4 neon tetra and I can purchase about 8 more to make a healthy happy school.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
235
Guests online
3,048
Total visitors
3,283

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom